Chapter 59: the plan

A/n: this chapter is supposed to be like a montage so if it's paced weird, that's why. I'm working on it.
Part of why I was having such a hard time with each chapter is because I typically have the endings to my stories drawn out in the beginning but this one was a doozy. Well, it finally hit me so I had to delete and tweak alllllllllll of my notes. Now this will be ending sooner than anticipated BUT that's not a complaint! Book 3 soon :)
This is dedicated to everyone who's reading but especially licel1985  MelHenault user78664627 kaiyareyes ❤️ thank you. Ily all

~

"I am a series of small victories and large defeats and I am as amazed as any other that I have gotten from there to here."

──────⊱⁜⊰─────
𝑴𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒂𝒏

"How was work?" Chris greets me outside with a kiss on the cheek. His hand gently cups my elbow in our brief embrace.

He's just got off and I left the office early so we can do dinner.
We're back to our regular date nights and it's nice. Things are going slowly but progressing nonetheless. It was a collective decision to "get back to each other" - back to the way things were despite the bullshit. I'm happy for us.

"Ugh, I could barely keep my eyes open." I exaggerate my response with an eye roll.

Chris holds open the door to the restaurant before I even reach it so I walk right through, stepping under his tattooed arm.

"Thank you." I hum through a smile.

I put my phone on silent as we stand before the hostess. The 'No phone rule' has been enforced whenever we're having intimate time. So, dinner, baths, cuddle sessions, venting m/rants, etc.

"Hi," the hostess beams, gathering a couple of menus. "table for two?"

My head nod and warm smile affirm with the hostess then she shows us to a table in the back.

It's not quite busy but business is far from slow at this time, it's picking up.
I'm just glad we got in somewhere semi-decent downtown like this because I'm starving. Neither of us were in the mood for something particularly "fancy" either. I just love when we're on the same page.

I yawn again but excuse myself and sit in the chair that Chris has kindly pulled out for me.

A smile across my lips serves as a "thank you" and he returns one for it.

Once seated, our hostess takes our drink orders and bounces away finally.

"You look pretty." Chris compliments, pushing the hair over my shoulder.

His gestures leave me with red cheeks and a broad grin.

"How was work?" I wonder aloud, putting my chin in the palm of my hands so I can be more attentive.

Chris sits back and wets his lips. "Everyone's moved on from the pictures, so, good. As good as it can be."

A step up from the usual "work was work" response, or the do-you-really-have-to-ask look he gives after a bad shift.