Chapter 27: keeping up with The Vaughns

"Happiness is not a luxury. It is a necessity. When we are happy, we are in the best possible place to be good to ourselves and those we love."

──────⊱⁜⊰─────

𝑴𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒂𝒏

Time has never gone by any slower. It's like molasses, whatever that is, but fuck. The waiting is killing me.

I sit on the edge of the tub and chew my lip, my leg shaking to personify my anxiety.

It's been seven days, I need to know.

So, I haven't felt any different, but I did miss my period. Although, it's been irregular (abnormal) anyway since getting off of my birth control. Again.

Either way, I know with all the raw "practice" Chris and I have been getting in, there's a good — no, great— chance that I'm pregnant. Here's hoping.

My phone screen finally lights up with the timer going off and I shout for Chris.

"Chris! Baby, get in here!" I yell with the frantic flickering of my wrist. "Hurry up!"

He comes running in in no time and barges inside of the bathroom, dropping by my side on the tub.

Excitement wears on his face. If I didn't feel like throwing up, I'd smile and kiss him for being so cute and supportive.

I dead my alarm and take a deep breath in.

This is it.

"Okay," I exhale. "I'm ready."

No I'm not.

My palms are sweaty, legs trembling, heart's beating out of my chest.

I close my eyes shut before inhaling greatly again.

Taking Chris's hand, I pick up the first at-home pregnancy test with my other and brace myself a second time.

Negative

"It could be wrong, try the other one." Chris instructs, trying to be optimistic.

I nod and pick up the next test.

Negative

We both sigh.

"One more." He says, starting to pace with his fingers locked behind his head.

I gulp.

Impatiently, Chris reads the final stick. It says:

Negative

I'm surprised. Kind of relieved, to be honest, but surprised.

"Sorry," I talk quietly with my head hung. "I thought for sure it was time. We'll just keep trying."

He nods his head and then forces my head to his hard chest. I'm held there momentarily, sulking, feeling his heartbeat.