Chapter 71: time

"It happens to everyone as they grow up. You find out who you are and what you want, and then you realize that people you've known forever don't see things the way you do. So you keep the wonderful memories, but find yourself moving on."

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘
𝑪𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒔

"—Nothing? I see. Thank you." I speak on the phone.

"I'm sorry." The woman speaks on the phone.

I don't know who she is, just a random phone number I was given by people after trying to track down Cleo.

After the last blow up between Morgan and I about Sabrina's sister, I know I shouldn't care but I do. Mostly because I don't want to get the news one day that's she's dead somewhere.
I can't help her if she doesn't want to be helped, but I want to make sure that she's alright. Last I saw, she was using again. I left her in the care of her mother and it was revealed to me that Cleo had been making those phone calls to Morgan and I, in cahoots with her sister.

"Knock-knock." I hear Morgan's soft voice.

I wave her in after covering my blueprints with other boring documents she won't care to peep at.

Morgan plants herself on my lap and rakes her fingers through my hair.

"I love you." She says sweetly.

"Where'd that come from?"

She smiles small. "You looked stressed. I just wanted to say it."

"I love you, too." I reply, wrapping my arms around her body.

"How's the studying going?" I wonder about her latest business venture.

Morgan pops her shoulders. "I think I'll be the best real estate agent ever."

I laugh at her confidence but it's cute and admirable. That's just her personality.

"That's my girl." I say, pounding our fists.

"What time is it?" I ask, taking the phone from Morgan's lap.

I look past a picture of us set as her lockscreen and read that it is almost five in the afternoon.

I yawn and tap Morgan's ass so she can let me up.

"Basketball?" She asks me if that's where I'm going.

I nod my head and lead her out of my home office.

In the bedroom, I change into a pair of shorts and put on a pair of my Nike basketball shoes.

"Are you going to have time for them anymore, with work and all?" She asks me, handing me the black bookbag I was just about to look for. 

She's got a point. I haven't been there for the team because work was taking over my life. Since the boys went back to school, it's been harder to coordinate schedules. Since Jabari gets off of work earlier than me, I've handed the program to him.

It wasn't my intention to give up on the boys but it got to be too much, the fighting, the fundraising, the drama between the parents. I can't take it. I love the sport and want to help the youth, but much like Morgan, I have other things going on that I have to dedicate my time to.

Time. Why can't we have more of it?

I thought I was ready to return to work on Monday but it's Sunday now and I don't know how to feel about it.
It's just random that they want me back. It's been a month basically. That must've been some investigation on Beck. Clearly they found him guilty and realized he's a fucking liability, so I'm thankful he's gone, but it just feels like I didn't get my job back solely on those grounds. I know, I know, I shouldn't question it - just be grateful. I am. While I'm still in Port Ember, it's easiest to remain at this firm where I know what to do and expect. Plus, I secretly miss Phil and Frank.