Chapter 19: Got Us Good

Then we hear screaming...

Peeta and I stop in our tracks. It sounds close.

"A mountain lion? Spider mutts?" Peeta questions.

"Maybe..." I say instantly. Then there's a deep laughing and a high pitched laughter. "Or not."

"Where are they?" Cashmere says. Peeta leads the way. Johanna is tied to a tree. Cashmere holds a knife to her neck.

"I don't know...we- we all broke the alliance." Johanna says.

"I don't think she's telling the truth sis." Gloss pins Johanna head back.

"You bastard!" Johanna spits in his face. Gloss wipes it off.

"Why do you have a bandage on your arm? Huh?" Gloss rips the bandage. "Oh taking out your tracker."

The capitol has cameras watching. Panem watching. We are watching and doing nothing.

"What do we do?" Peeta whispers.

"Something...anything." I say.

"Last chance...you tell us where everyone is." Gloss threatens to stab her healing arm wound.

Both Gloss and Cashmere facing her. I load my bow and Peeta arms himself with a long knife.

"Oh I don't know..." Johanna spots us and she says nonchalantly.

I shoot an arrow right above Johanna's head. Both Gloss and Cashmere turn around.

"Really!" Johanna yells at me. Gloss runs at me, swinging his spear. I shoot an arrow, puncturing his arm. He pulls it out and throws the spear. I duck and roll an aim for his head, it hits his shoulder. Peeta fights off Cashmere. I can't exactly make sure that he's perfectly fine, since I'm being attacked myself.

"Katniss! Watch out!" Johanna screams. Gloss stabs my jacket down. He stands above me. I rip the jacket and roll over.

"Ahhh!" Cashmere screams. She falls to the ground. Peeta's knife driven in her stomach. Blood dripping from the corner of her mouth. Gloss is distracted. I get up and aim my bow at his head. He falls to his knees. Peeta stands shocked, but he snaps out of it. He goes and cuts the ropes off Johanna.

"Cashmere!" Gloss screams. He crawls over to her stiff body.

Johanna begins to run and we follow her. We run far. It begins to rain.

Johanna finds a cave covered by pants and vines. All of us soaked.

"Thank you." Johanna says. She lays on the floor catching her breath.

"Where's Finnick?" Peeta asks.

"Oh that bastard? Hopefully alive still..." Johanna says.

"Hopefully? What happened?" I say. I sit down and my heart rate is still beating fast.

"He started to yell once I said we should take a break. We started to yelling at each other. When I started to walk away from him. I heard growling...maybe those mountain lion mutts." She says.

"You left him there?" Peeta says.

"Well... I guess so..yes I did." She admits.

"Then we should have left you to the careers!" I say.

"Listen you owed me. I've saved your life twice. You still owe me. So I won't say anything." Johanna points to my chest. "You both owe me. I got you two together...What has Finnick done for you two? Nothing."

"Doesn't mean you leave him to die!" I exclaim.

"He's not dead. Have you heard a cannon? No. So stop whining." Johanna says.

"We are finding him tomorrow." Peeta says sternly.

"Fine, don't count any apologizes from me." Johanna says.

We all begin to shiver. "We aren't going to get any sleep soaked and cold." I announce.

Then a clanking noise comes from outside and a red flashing light. Peeta looks at me. He heads outside.

"Wait...our trackers are gone...How did they-" Johanna sits up.

"They found us last night." I say.

Peeta comes in. His hairs dripping. "It's a lot heavier than yesterday."

"What did you receive yesterday?" Johanna pounces.

"Captiol food. Soup, bread, water." My mouth waters just thinking of it.

"Well open it." Johanna rubs her hands together.

Peeta pops the lock. The container opens.

"You've got to be kidding me...Out of everything they could have sent!" Johanna throws her hands over her head. "Really Cyprus!" Cyprus is probably her mentor.

We find extra pairs of clothes for the three of us. "Hold on Johanna, look." At the bottom is a thermal of chicken broth.

"Thank you." She looks up. We all change into the dry clothes and water proof jackets. We all huddle together drinking the broth.

"You think the rain will go on into tomorrow?" I break the silence.

"Doesn't seem to die down." Peeta squints and looks at the mouth of the cave.

"They've got us good this time." Johanna says.