Chapter 12: Haven't Forgotten

My eyes gradually open. I have no idea how I have fallen to sleep with the rushing of the waters. I prop myself up on my elbow. I push the fallen hairs on my forehead behind my ears. I blink a few times before looking around. My vision is a bit blurry. I turn over and see Peeta asleep. Johanna was gone.

I stare at Peeta. He looks younger when he sleeps. I smooth his hair back. And I lean over and kiss his forehead.

"Fire girl! I need your help." I hear Johanna yell from the outside of our warm cave.

The cave was much better than last years. There were no cracks in the roof. And it was not as much dirt on the floor. Just pure stone. Doesn't help much on our backs but it's better than infected cuts. Such as mine.

I stand up slowly. Making sure my wounds won't reopen or become worse with quick motions. My leg is still stiff but my cheek and back are fine. Well, I think they are. I'm no Prim...

I walk outside and the little trickles of water tickle my face. Johanna waves her hand. I walk over cautiously. She doesn't seem right in the head sometimes. I don't know if I can fully trust her. Last night was me being desperate. And today I am no longer going to be fooled. But if Peeta trusts her then I must act as she is no threat.

She stands in the waters at the bottom. A spear in her hand trying to catch a fish. So far I don't see anything she's caught.

"These damn fish are hard to get. Finnick would sure get these little bastards in no time." She says focusing on one pink fish. Every time she stabs the blue waters the fish flutters away quickly. She lets out a big groan. "Here you try!" She throws the spear on the ground near me. She plummets her body into the water. I take my boots and socks off. I roll up the bottoms of my pants. I step into the water. I try spearing the fish but no luck. They're quick. I've shot birds in flight, rabbits with their quick tread. But these, these fish no luck. It would be easier to kill a career.

"No use. Once Finnick comes along-" Johanna begins.

"I don't plan on any more allies." I interrupt her.

"Without Finnick, we are done. You rather go back the Career campsite. That's where you'll end up sooner or later... again." Johanna says walking out of the water and sitting on the ground a few inches from the edge of the lake.

"Well I've done this before-" I say.

"So have I. Finnick. Annie. Brutus. Gloss. Cahsmere. We've all done this before. And better than you. I've seen all the tactics. I watched you last year. I studied you hard. Trees, bow and arrow, Peeta, and running. You're predictable. You've done this before, sure. Doesn't mean you can do it again." Johanna says soaking in the rays of the sun.

She studied me? Why was I so interesting? I blow it off. I can do this again. I'm not weak. I'm not predictable. I throw the spear towards her. The head of the spear stabs the ground by her hand. She opens her eyes and stares at me.

"Ooo, good one," She smirks. I make my way up the small hill into the cave. Peeta still sleeps. He must be drained from the running. I sit next to him.

"Peeta...Peeta. Wake up." I say softly. His eyes open and he cracks a smile immediately.

"It wasn't a dream..." He says.

"No no, I'm here." I smile slightly. He sits up and hugs me. I hug him back. Tightly. I hide my face in his shoulder. The memories of the last day at the Capitol are coming back. The note. The baby clothing. The hospital. I want to cry. But I hold the tears.

"You must be hungry," I say. He lets me go and I grab a backpack. I hand him a loaf of bread and make him drink loads of water.

"Where's Johanna?" Peeta asks. I'm about to answer.