Chapter 29: End This Way

"That's not enough time!" Finnick refuses.  

"How do you expect we get everything ready by then?" Gale walks forward. 

"I'm a still a stupid Avox?" Johanna says from the back. 

"I need more time Ares!" Peeta speaks up. 

"Okay. Okay! Shut the hell up." Ares yells. We all stand still. "Peeta, today is all the mental aspect. Tomorrow you'll just have to learn the placements. Finnick all you're really doing is distracting Gamemakers. Yes, Johanna you're still an Avox. Gale you know this stuff. Katniss-" 

"I didn't complain." I interupt him. "If we only have a few days. Fine, then at means we have to train harder." Ares smiles. 

I begin training with a gun. I've never held a gun before. Bow and arrows are my speciality. But the bow and arrow the scientists created for me had some difficulties. Now I'm training with guns.  

I raise my arms up and level the barrel to the target. "Now don't close your eyes." Ares yells at me. I wasn't! I shoot the bullet and it hits the edge of the target sheet. My body shaking after. Ares walk away, not impressed with my skills. 

"You need to hold it like you're not afraid of it, Catnip." Gale walks up behind me. I look over to Peeta who's working on his speech and plans with Ares. He glances over and his facial expression changes. "Hold it like this." Gale's body against my back, his arms around my shoulders, and his hands on my hands. "Up right, aim, shoot." His finger presses my finger on the trigger. Bull's eye. I quick move my way out from his hold. Peeta was becoming uncomfortable with this position Gale had me in, and so was I. 

"Katniss we need to talk." Gale whispers. I didn't want to talk to him. Peeta could have died because of him.  

"I don't want to talk Gale." I say under my breath walking away. 

"So the plan? It's over because of a stupid mistake?" Gale imposes. Finnick walks over carrying a scary knife.  

"Is he bugging you Katniss?" Finnick twirls the knife in front of Gale. 

"It's fine, Finnick." I wave Finnick away. He walks away, but glancing over a couple of times. Gale takes my arm, gripping it. We walk into a room made for simulations.  

"I need to know if you are still in this Katniss." Gale stares me down. 

"Yes! Yes, okay." I pull my arm away. 

"What? Now your mad at me?" Gale rolls his eyes. He was joking? What what he put me through with Peeta. 

"Yes! I'm utterly mad at you! You hurt the person I love! You could have ruined everything!" I yell. 

"You wanna know what? He already lost that leg because of you! It wasn't a big loss Katniss! And right now I'm more worried about your sister and mother than you are, which it pathetic!" Gale pushes me against the metal wall. "I ruin everything? Whose the person who started this revolution? I'm not "The Girl on Fire"." Anger rises in me. I push Gale back. I punch his chest, but it doesn't fase him. "I was always here. I want to protect you. But you push and push me away!" 

"I don't love you! I don't care for you anymore!" I cry and throw punches. 

"Good luck getting Prim back!" Gale pushes me hard enough so that I fall down.  

I stomp out and run over to the gun range. Ares hands me a gun. Peeta tries to stop me. "You're doing this out of anger!" Peeta yells. I aim the gun. Bullet hits the target and a tear falls. 

Ares chuckles. "Anger is the key." Ares walks away and Peeta wheels away without a word. 

I walk out of the steamy restroom. Peeta is walking around the room. A smile creeps on my face.