Chapter 14: The Hanging Tree

I hear muffled breathing and almost silent inhales. I sit up and notice Peeta's back is against me. I shake the thought of him and turn to the sobbing Finnick Odair.

He was the Capitol's number one beauty. Everyone loved the famous Finnick Odair. He was the strongest yet incredibly handsome. He made all the girls swoon over his charm. But all Finnick cared about was Annie. Sweet, innocent crazy Annie.

I look over to him. His back propped against a tree. His head between his knees and sobbing.

"Finnick. Go to sleep. I'll take watch now." I say wrapping a jacket around me. I stand up and walk to him. And two days ago I had told Johanna that I wanted nothing to do with Finnick and here I am caring for him.

"No Katniss. I want to stay up. I can't go to sleep." He answers.

"Then I'll stay up with you. You'll crack sooner or later." I smile. He probably can't see it at this time, pitch black. But I see a white smirk escape his lips. I sit next to him, he is knotting a rope. I tuck my knees in the jacket.

"How long are you?" He says focused on his intricate noose. My mind doesn't comprehend. I sit there thinking of what he might be asking me. How tall I am? I don't understand. He notices my awkward silence, "Your baby?"

"Oh, three months." I stutter out. My heart hurts. I wrap my arms around my stomach and feel empty inside my heart.

"Annie wanted kids," Finnick says looking at the moon.

"I'm sorry about Annie...I shouldn't have sent the arrow it distracted you guys-" I begin.

"You tried to help. I wasn't the one getting the hint. It was my fault. I let her die. I should have protected her." He tells me.

"You did. You protected her Finnick." I say.

"But it wasn't enough to keep her alive was it?" He asks. I don't answer. I rather not want to touch a vulnerable subject.

"Do you guys have a name picked out?" Finnick asks. Dang it! What are the names Haymitch told us. Only if Peeta was awake to step in and answer for me like he always does.

"Willow for a girl. And...for a boy," Think! Think! "Rye!" I almost scream. Finnick chuckles.

"Excited I see," Finnick says.

Hours pass. And Finnick passout, like I knew he would. The sun begins to rise. So much excitement yesterday, hopefully, Gamemakers give us a small break. Like I said...hopefully. Johanna is first to wake up.

"You've been taking care of camp?" She asks. I nod in response. "Is Finnick whimpered out?" I shrug.

"I'll take care of the camp and them. Go for food." Johanna instructs me. But I obey. I get up, grab my bow and arrows and venture off into the mountain range.

I've realized that I've probably set up ten snares around the mountain. To bad I can't go back and check on them. It would take forever to get there. I set nearby snares and try to find easy game. The fresh air and peace bring me back to District 12. Gale. I shot three squirrels and two groosling. Hopefully, the snare will have finally been useful. And they are, two rabbits. A big haul today. I come back to camp and here yelling.

Finnick is on the floor watching Peeta and Johanna butt heads and knotting his rope.

"You let her leave! Without anyone! She's pregnant!" Peeta yells.

"Do you want to eat or not!" Johanna yells back. Peeta clenched his jaw and walks closer to Johanna.

"Anyone want breakfast?" I say loud enough so he would stop. Peeta's face relaxes and Finnick drops his rope and jumps up for the food. I hand seven dead animals to Finnick. Peeta comes over and hugs me.