CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN - ANOTHER GOODBYE

Heloyse

The dark colored open coffin was surrounded by flowers. Next to the wreath, a frame with the name “Thomas Richard Thompson Ferrel”. Inside the coffin, a man with long white hair was sleeping peacefully. Thom had such a peaceful face that I imagined he could wake up from his eternal sleep at any moment.
A little closer to the coffin, photos of Thom occupied a piece of furniture against the wall. They were old black and white photos from when he was still young. Others from your wedding. Some with baby Martin in their arms. He also had pictures of him with
skyand Megan. A photo at the end showed him with a fishing rod in his hand. Will and Martin were on his side.
So, my chest hurt when I saw my face in the middle of those pictures. We were all sitting at the table at the Whites' party. Thom smiles for the photo. That picture said I was part of the family.
I placed my hand on my chest as if that gesture could alleviate the pain that had settled there.
Since we were informed of his death, I had cried for hours on end. Once again I lost someone important in my life. Again, I said goodbye.
There were several people at the funeral.
I was at the wake, the small group of servants from his farm, some from Will's farm, people I didn't know and people I knew by sight.
Jeremy arrived with his family, introduced us, and sat down next to Megan. Calvin and Eva were sitting with a group of people a little way ahead.
Minutes later, the Whites entered accompanied by their two daughters. Patsy looked at me from under her long eyelashes and followed her parents to where Cielo was. Selena joined Megan and Jeremy.
I saw Johnson arrive accompanied by a man and two women. From their faces, they appeared to be relatives. He looked in my direction, put his hands in his pockets and walked slowly towards me. He ran a hand over his beard and stopped, staring at me with a sad face.
After our farewell at that bar, we never spoke again. Seeing him was a little awkward and embarrassing.
“I'm so sorry, Lisy. I know how much you cherished him.
- Thanks.
He shook his head and looked at Cielo, then turned his gaze back to me.
— With Megan in college, Cielo will need company more than ever.
- Yes I know.
"And how long do you intend to stay?"
— Well... I've already made the decision to live here. I need to sort out some things in Boston, but I'll be back. I don't want to get away from Cielo.
“And neither is his.
I took a deep breath to control the anger that Johnson's comment caused me. It was unbelievable that he was worried about this while Thom was just a few feet away being veiled.
“This is not the time, Johnson.
- Forgive me! I'm an idiot. I want you to know that I cared a lot about Thom.
“I know,” I said, letting out a breath afterward.
Meanwhile, Will was standing outside.
The black suit, even representing mourning, made him so beautiful and at the same time as dark as a stormy night. The black hat was over her hair loose and spilling over her shoulders.
He was standing there, looking at the floor, hands in his pockets.
"Would you excuse me, Johnson?"
Feel free!
- Thanks.
I went outside walking a little faster than usual.
The day was gray
“Will? Why don't you come in?
He took a moment to answer, then he lifted his head and looked at me, his face covered in a hard, cold mask.
“The day Thom went to the hospital, he said I should let you know I was happy with what's between us.
- And you are?
- Yea.
- That's nice.
“Calvin is important to me. Calvin, Wallace... Thom. They treated me like a son. Only Calvin remained.
"At least you still have one."
- Yea. I have, for now.
"Are you afraid he's gone too?"
"Is that so remarkable about me, sunshine?" she asked in a low voice. "Will I suffer bitterly the day Calvin is gone?" Will I regret for the rest of my life never telling him that I…that I see him as…” He frowned, then glanced back as if searching for something. “I didn't cry. I didn't cry when my mother died. I didn't cry when my father died. Not when Wallace left or even Martin. I didn't even cry now. I have this lump in my throat, but I can't cry.
“That doesn't mean you don't care.
Will came walking slowly until he stopped next to me. The distance was so short between us that I lifted my head so I could look at him. That face was that of a wounded young man, unhappy with the loss of someone dear to him. The green of his eyes looked like the crystalline water of a river. And I really wanted to dive.
His hand, as cold as his face, wandered over my face, caressing it slowly. Afterwards, he leaned his forehead against mine, closed his eyes and let out a long breath. When his eyes opened, there was a distinct suffering in his gaze.
"I fear worse." Maybe one day I can lose something that takes everything from me. Something that hurts me so much, to the point of destroying me.
And then, he placed a light kiss on my lips.
Those words made my skin crawl.
"Come on, sunshine!" Let's say goodbye to Thom.