CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE - I FOUND MY SHELTER

Heloyse

Megan suggested a long party, Cielo suggested a lot of food and Eva wanted to invite a lot of people. Ashley suggested live folk music, Alice thought the wedding should be at night. Margot wanted white flowers and I…I just wanted to marry the man who not only completes me, but makes me feel whole.
And after they drove me crazy with ideas and more ideas, I decided to mix it up and have a wedding.
Eva, Cielo and all the other women on the farm were in charge of the food. I planned to make our cake.
The farm was a mess and there were servants running around the house like crazy.
Meanwhile, Will surprised everyone with incredible humor. Always smiling, telling a joke or doing something funny. Eva said that in all her life, she had never seen him so happy. I was proud of him.
I kept watching how the women despaired over the preparations. And it was small gestures, that smile that only he had, that made my love grow more every day.
He spent more time with Calvin, like father and son. They repaired the truck they used to carry the rations, played pool after lunch, and sometimes one played the guitar while the other sang. He became more every day, a calm, patient man and closer to those around him.
I installed myself in the small wooden house that once sheltered me. She didn't want to share the pre-wedding nights with him.
Will was stubborn. He would show up at the door, always trying to talk me out of it or asking me to let him sleep with me. And when I saw the disgust on his face after my denial, I just laughed. We got married on the farm.
There were countless bottles of flowers hanging from the trees and beautiful lanterns. We took out sofas, old furniture, chairs, pieces of wood and a large rug. That way, after the wedding, people could talk in the comfort of a room outside. In the trees next to this space, there was a clothesline of lamps. The chairs where the guests would sit were all white, as well as the carpet where I would walk.
From the farm's entrance to where the ceremony would take place, we placed wooden crates with beautiful arrangements of white and red flowers and, between one crate and another, we placed plaques with our photos. The gate had been decorated with flowers and the front, a wooden plaque written "Welcome to the wedding of Heloise Emily Sanders and William Davies O'Connor".
Some wooden parts were made by Will and Calvin.
We joined several tables. White tablecloths were used, small flower arrangements and candles completed the decor. And more handmade lamps hung from nearby trees. It also had a stage with a large wagon wheel trimmed with white ribbon and flowers. Some instruments and some benches where the folk music band would sit.
Megan, Ashley, Alice, Patsy, Selena and Victoria, would be the bridesmaids and wore beautiful light blue dresses of light fabric that went to the knees and pearly straps.
Everything so magnificent.
My dress was off white in a fluid fabric, however, it gained a little weight by carrying countless stones that formed an embroidery of flowers throughout the dress.
There was a "v" neckline, both in the back and in the front. The sleeves of the dress had beautiful chains with mini pearls, forming necklaces. The skirt of the dress was narrow but loose on the legs, mermaid style. On her arm was a bracelet made from the same fabric and embroidery as the dress.
My hair was lightening from a brown to a honey brown until it reached a light blonde at the ends. They were brushed and adorned with a headband Detailed like the dress. I wore a flat with a strap attached to one of the fingers going to the ankle, covering the back of the feet.
I looked at myself in the mirror and took a deep breath. My stomach felt like a bottle of shampoo when it was turned upside down, producing a big bubble. It was my heart that was beating so fast.
My icy hands held a cascading bouquet of variety in the foliage. It had a mixture of burgundy, purple and red flowers mixed with the delicacy of white "drizzle" flowers and a few succulents.
I continued looking at myself in the mirror.
"You did a good job and you look beautiful. You're going to marry the man who loves you and you love him back. No nervousness," I kept repeating in my head.
“You look beautiful, darling. Thom would have liked to see her like this.
skyHe wiped away his tears and hugged me for a little while.
“I would have loved it.
- I know. But let's stop. Her makeup is so beautiful. I don't want to be accused of making the bride cry.
I smiled and struggled to keep the tears from forming.
When Calvin came into the room to get me, I had to push myself one more time.
“So there's the ray of sunlight that brightened that cloudy boy. I've never seen Will so radiant. Wallace would have loved you for everything you are to Will.
“Thank you for caring Calvin. You're so good to me that... that... Oh, I love you all.
I took Calvin's hands and then pulled him into the hug. I couldn't control the tears anymore.
Minutes later, Megan had my makeup retouched and so I linked my arms in Calvin's and we proceeded to the ceremony.
It was the time when the sun was setting and Will wanted our wedding to be at that time. He said he liked the color that formed around the sun.
I didn't ask though, I knew it was something important to him as he got lost in his thoughts.
At the ceremony were the owners of neighboring farms, friends of Wallace O'Connor invited by Will, the men who worked for him along with their families and many other faces I had never seen. I wasn't even sure how many guests there were.
Victoria's little niece entered, carrying a nest-shaped ring holder with a velvet cushion inside.
The judge was behind a table, under an arch made of branches and decorated with white and red flowers. The godmothers and godfathers were all lined up.
Also there were Michael, Jeremy, Mr Marz, Corey, Selena's fiance Johnson and Mr Zachary, Victoria's husband.
Men wore blue pants in the same tone as the bridesmaids' dress, white shirt with tie, vest and brown shoes. However, the most beautiful of all was him: Will!
I had chosen Heavenly Day(24)  as entrance music and the music now, it got a little louder.
When I heard the lyrics to the song, I felt tears welling up. Yes, that was a holy day. And when the sorrows came, we would face them together.
I was more than happy.
As we got closer, I could see in detail the man who would be mine for the rest of my life. He was wearing blue pants and a slightly darker vest than his groomsmen's. Between the vest and the white shirt, a traditional blue tie. Wet hair, impeccably combed.
He looked at me with emotion in his eyes, smiling and I smiled back.
Calvin handed me to Will and he led me next to the judge's table. On the table was the civil union book and a gold pen.
Hiddleston, the judge, smiled and began to speak:
— Despite being a civil marriage, it is still a marriage. God is pleased with this union, regardless of who celebrates it. Regardless of being a judge or a religious leader. The action itself is what pleases God. And at this point, I don't speak as a judge, I speak as the great friend that I was to Wallace O'Connor. I would like to say, William, that your grandfather would be proud of you. There were times when he said you were a gift he received in his lonely time. There was joy when he talked about it. So, as your grandfather's friend, I want to consider myself his friend too and say that I'm glad for this marriage. You will surely make this beautiful lady happy. A girl who demonstrates in her eyes that you are special to her. A girl who changed something about you and we rejoice in that. This girl saw in you the goodness I always knew you had. You are like your grandfather. So, I speak for everyone that you deserve all the happiness in the world, next to this woman who is certainly your half. I wish you everything that makes you happy and believe that the time has come to reap all the good that you have sown so far. I wish you both all the happiness in the world. And now, take your vows.
Will smiled and hugged him. He took the microphone and held my hand, facing the guests.
“I first want to thank you, Hiddleton, for your words and apologize for not looking for you when my grandfather passed away. I distanced myself from everything and everyone and many who are here, who were also friends with Wallace, know what I'm talking about. I apologize to all of you. Many times you called worried about me, sometimes to offer a word of comfort and I didn't answer. Yet you are here today, at this very special time for me.” He paused. “I would like you to know that I am grateful. And if I'm here today, acknowledging that I acted wrong with you, it's because something different happened to me. Something inexplicable. I knew what it was to love! Everyone yelled and clapped. “And it was this beautiful woman standing here beside me who made me see who I was. She made me see that amid so many bad things, even so, it's worth living. Lisy, you know I'm not good with words, but... I could spend a lifetime telling you that I love you and it still wouldn't be enough. Everyone should have someone who makes them happy. That makes everything happy in us. Not only on the outside, but also the soul. Someone who loves us even when we think we don't deserve it. And with you, I found happiness. But eternally is small compared to what I want to live with you. So I promise to love you, every day, now and always. And no matter how many obstacles will appear, I will face them by your side. I promise to be there for you when you wake up in a bad mood and want to take your anger out on me. I promise to be by your side when your body completely changes and a life forms within it. When you cry in front of the mirror and think you look ugly, I'll say the most beautiful thing I've seen was you, carrying a piece of me. In illness, even if I cannot ease your pain, I will be there for you. I will be your shelter on stormy days. I will be your husband, your boyfriend, your friend, your confidant and whatever you want. But above all, I want to be the only man to live in your heart. Till death do Us part.
Tears streamed down my face and for a few moments, I couldn't speak. I picked up the microphone with shaking hands and took a deep breath. Patsy handed me a tissue and I gently wiped away the tears so I wouldn't smudge my makeup any further.
"Wow... I'm sorry... I'm emotional..." I wiped away the tears some more and let out a long breath. “I thank God I found you. As for me, I promise to love you for the rest of my life. Respect and care for you. I promise not to miss love and I promise to love you in every way. I promise to listen to you, even when words fail. Take a deep breath and be patient, don't fight... I'll try this one...' Will and the guests laughed and then I continued. — Don't judge and try to understand. Trust without doubting. And I promise to keep my promises. I once said my heart was in pieces, but you put them together. So I give you my whole heart. It's yours, Will, forever and ever. And I will love you until the end of my life.
The tears wouldn't stop falling and when he put the ring on my finger, I couldn't help my shaking hands. And when we said “yes” to each other, I closed my eyes and spilled.
— Congratulations William and Heloyse O'Connor. And in accordance with the will of both of you, which you have pronounced before me, to receive you husband and wife, I, in the name of the law, pronounce you married. And please, Will, kiss your beautiful bride.
Will pulled me. We looked at each other with tears and then, we kissed.
Everyone applauded and screamed, but the only sound I heard was my heart.
Our lips were like magnets that wouldn't let go. So were our souls.
"So, Mrs. O'Connor, shall we dance?"
"Only if you go now, cowboy."
Will kissed me again and we went to where the stage was set up.
Minutes later, while some ate and laughed, others, including Will and I, danced happily. We laughed and screamed. We had formed a wheel that sometimes turned to the left, sometimes to the right. We clapped and exchanged partners. Always laughing.
I danced with Doctor Malerman, then he excused himself, handing me over to Will as he walked away to smoke his cigarette.
This day was one of the happiest days of my life. The first of many to come.
I mentally thanked Thom for insisting I go to Clearwater. I would be grateful for the rest of my life.

(24)Heavenly Day: Sung by Patty Griffin