꒰ forty three ꒱

"Are you sure about this?"

Donghyuck huffed in mild frustration, casting a scathing look over his shoulder at Jeno. His taller boyfriend was standing behind him, biting his thumbnail anxiously as he watched the blonde boy get dressed.

"Yes, I'm sure. I've been wanting to do something like this ever since I started dressing up, and I think this is the perfect opportunity to live out my dreams while simultaneously saying a big 'fuck you' to all those jerks at school."

"I get it, I really do, it just makes me a bit uneasy..." Jeno sighed, watching as Donghyuck pulled up his pink pleated skirt and smoothed it out, looking at himself in the mirror.

"Do you think I should wear the socks with the little cats on them? Or maybe a pair with bows?" Donghyuck murmured thoughtfully, digging through the no-longer-secret box of his clothes that his sister had sneakily retrieved from his parent's house for him when they weren't home. "I think the bows are nice, it's simple but still cute. I don't think the general public is ready for the cat socks quite yet."

Jeno rolled his eyes, still unable to keep a fond smile off his face as he watched his boyfriend pull the long white socks up to his thighs. "Hyuck, I feel like you are way too calm about this right now."

Donghyuck sighed, turning around to face the taller boy. "I'm nervous too, Jen, I really am, but I don't know... I feel like I need to do this. I need to prove to myself that I'm brave enough to express myself and wear the clothes I actually want to wear, and I feel like school is a good start since everyone already knows about it."

"But the soccer team..." Jeno said worriedly, going right back to chipping away at his thumbnail. Donghyuck walked over and gently pulled the finger out of his mouth, using his free hand to cup Jeno's cheek.

"I have you to help me and protect me now. They first attacked me when I was wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants, so clearly what I wear has no correlation to how they'll act with me... so why should I let them rob me of wearing what I want to wear? Besides, they wouldn't be stupid enough to do anything to me in such a public space with everyone looking. Every single one of my teachers is aware of the situation, and I'll have someone that can keep an eye on me and walk with me if I ever need to leave the classroom for any reason. With all of that in place... I think I'm going to be okay."

Jeno exhaled sharply through his nose, still feeling a little dissatisfied, but he was aware it was the best that they could do. And if he couldn't talk his boyfriend out of dressing up on his first day back at school, then the next best thing was to divert all his energy into protecting him.

"Okay. I hope they don't get any ideas after seeing how cute you look in that outfit," the black haired boy grumbled. Donghyuck laughed, thumbing over Jeno's cheekbone lovingly before leaning in and placing a sweet kiss against his lips.

"You're the only boy who gets to look at everything underneath the skirt, so you should consider yourself lucky," he giggled, squeaking when Jeno wrapped a strong arm around his waist to pull him in even closer.

"I am lucky," Jeno mumbled back, pressing a few lazy kisses against the corner of Donghyuck's mouth, "I'm the luckiest guy in the world, because I have you."

┈ ୨ 🎀 ୧ ┈

Jeno's grip on his hand was so tight that it was nearing painful as they walked through the school doors, and Donghyuck scowled as he tried to wrestle out of his grip.

"NoNo, you're hurting me," he whined softly, and Jeno reluctantly loosened his fingers as they walked.

"Sorry, baby," he mumbled back, glancing around at every face in the hallway. Some people stopped to stare at them. A couple of students made weird faces as they walked by before scurrying away. A small cluster of boys gave Donghyuck shy smiles and complimented him quietly, clearly embarrassed but still wanting to show support. Cute, Donghyuck thought, looking at the younger boys and seeing the younger version of himself in them.