꒰ epilogue ꒱

two years later 

It was only a few months after Jeno and Donghyuck got engaged when the families decided that they wanted to spend Christmas together.

Donghyuck had, quite ironically, met Jeno's parents for the very first time at the engagement party they threw with their family and friends. Jeno's parents had been out of the country for business related reasons during the majority of their relationship, though thankfully Jeno had been keeping them updated through frequent phone calls, so they weren't too surprised when the first thing they saw when they got home was their son getting engaged to another man.

Donghyuck had been a nervous wreck, feeling desperate for Jeno's parents to like him—especially now that he was officially engaged to their son—but they surprised him by being just as friendly and charming as Jeno himself was. They asked him questions about his life, shared some of their experiences from being abroad the last couple of years, and overall managed to bond very well with not only Donghyuck but also Haram and Hyunwoo, who were there to celebrate the engagement as well. They had even insisted on letting Donghyuck and Jeno keep the house that used to belong to the whole family, casually claiming that they would just buy a different house nearby so that the couple could have their own space. "Consider it an early wedding gift," Jeno's father had said, with a bright, warm smile.

Jeno's mother in particular had loved him, squishing his cheeks and gushing over how handsome and smart he was, while Jeno's father watched the interaction and shook his head in fond disbelief. In the end, Donghyuck had worried over nothing, and was able to spend the night laughing and joyously celebrating with the people he loved.

Christmas was a whole different problem, however. A lot of work had gone into it—mostly involving debating over whose house it would be held at, what kind of food would be served, what kind of gifts should be brought... and the likes. They settled on doing Christmas at Jeno's parents' new house, since it was larger than Haram and Hyunwoo's little complex as well as homier than the smaller house Jeno and Donghyuck had ended up accidentally stealing; and before he knew it, Donghyuck was wrapped up in his winter coat on Christmas Eve and standing on the doorstep of the house belonging to his future in-laws.

"Donghyuck!" Mrs. Lee squealed happily when she opened the door, immediately pulling the blonde boy in for a big hug. Donghyuck laughed and hugged her back, and Jeno scoffed as he observed the interaction.

"Oh, my dear, I missed you! How have you been? Have you been eating well?" She pressed, cupping Donghyuck's cheeks fondly as she stared at him. Before the blonde even had a chance to respond, she glanced over his shoulder and saw her own son standing behind his fiancé, looking playfully offended, and she let out a noncommittal hum.

"Oh... hello to you too, Jeno, I guess," she said nonchalantly, and Jeno clutched his chest dramatically and pretended to be hurt.

"Wow, mom," he laughed, maneuvering around Donghyuck to give his mother a quick side hug, "Merry Christmas to you too."

"You know I'm kidding, love. I missed you both equally," she chuckled, giving her son a kiss on the cheek before she pulled both of them inside and shut the door behind them. "You two must be freezing. We have the fireplace going in the living room, if you want to warm up a little bit."

"Thank you, mom," Donghyuck responded sweetly, and the smile Mrs. Lee sent back at him was brighter even than the lights hanging on the Christmas decorations in the entranceway. It still felt a little awkward for him to address Jeno's parents as 'mom and dad', but they both seemed incredibly happy whenever he did, so recently he had been trying to use it for them more often.