Chapter 29. Fun or Mission

Chapter 29
Fun or Mission

Kujou Kamaji was not going to sit idly by while they waited for the full report from the Kanjou Commission to arrive. As the head of the criminal investigation office of the Tenryou Commission, he had taken the case of the Counterfeit Visions directly from its inception. And despite the confidence, not to say stubbornness, that his father had regarding the theory that Kamisato Ayaka was the benefactor behind the creation of those visions and the report of expenses and purchases would be the key to blame her, Kamaji still had his doubts on both points. And regardless of what that report would tell them, he was convinced that the best way to find some clue that would prove the guilt of the youngest daughter of the Kamisato family, or clear her name (as he hoped would happen), was to find the craftsman who made the visions, or at least one of their collaborators.

However, he had already realized for a long time that it would take a lot of work. His investigators had been scouring the entire city and questioning all their contacts but could not uncover anything concrete until now. On the one hand, the imperative need to keep the situation as secret as possible prevented them from asking direct questions. And on the other hand, they suspected that those who did know something refused to speak out, inspired by an incomprehensible feeling of loyalty to these people.

Although, in reality, that feeling was not so "incomprehensible." Even if Kamaji didn't dare say it out loud, especially in his father's presence, he understood to some degree why people could feel grateful to this mysterious craftsman. More than one of them was undoubtedly saved from being separated from their vision and the horrible consequences this would have brought, deceiving the Tenryou guards thanks to their creations. And if it depended on him, Kamaji would let them continue doing it. After all, among all the problems Inazuma was going through at that time (the discontent, the uprisings, the social and economic deprivations), someone making false visions that were little more than pretty accessories shouldn't even be on his priority list.

But he was an officer of the Tenryou Commission and a Kujou on top of that. He had a duty to his family and to the Almighty Shogun. And that had to outweigh any other personal feelings he might have on the subject.

"No news then?" Kamaji muttered slowly with a hint of disappointment.

"No unusual movement among the usual suspects," replied Shikanoin Heizou, one of his investigators in charge of searching for any trace of information about the Counterfeit Visions, in a calm voice.

Both were walking side by side in the interior garden of the Kujou residence. It was early in the morning, and Heizou had shown up to give his report on how his investigation was going. Like the days before, however, there was little to report.

"The city is starting to fill up with festival goers," Heizou added, his gaze drifting a bit to the cherry blossom trees in the garden. "It would be straightforward for the mystery shoppers of that big sale we heard about to blend in and not attract attention. And while one part of the commission is in charge of protecting the festival and the other is focused on the fishermen's revolt in Yashiori... Well..." He shrugged his shoulders, smiling almost mockingly, "To be honest, we're not making it so difficult for them."

"Your words are not encouraging at all, Shikanoin," Kamaji murmured, sounding almost like an exhausted sigh.

"Not everything is lost, sir," Heizou replied in a more animated voice. "I guess you already heard Kamisato Ayaka is also in town, even though she was supposed to have finished all her preparations for the festival three days ago."

"Yeah, I've heard about that.

"Pretty interesting, don't you think?" the red-haired boy inquired in a confident voice. "It would be wise to keep an eye on both her and her servant, the man named Thoma, don't you think so?"