Chapter 37. A nice afternoon

Chapter 37
A nice afternoon

The moment of the final combat had arrived. Itto and Kazuha, the two fighters, each stood at one end of the arena, each holding their champion in their hands. The spectators were gathered around both of them, expectant and excited, intoxicated by the heavy tension in the air...

Or, maybe not so much, actually. After all, it was just an onikabuto match organized by a group of children... and some adults who evidently had nothing more important to do that afternoon. As it was, the prize of one thousand two hundred moras was undoubtedly worth the interest.

"Are you ready, friend Kazuha?" Itto asked with overflowing confidence in his voice. "I hope you don't hold any hard feelings once I win you that huge prize."

"Not at all," Kazuha replied with a careless smile. "Let's have a fair fight, and may the best win."

"That's the spirit! Go then, Demon Warrior X!"

Itto crouched down, placing his beetle on the ground just inside the arena. Kazuha followed suit shortly after, placing Heron Princess in her respective position.

"You have done very well," the samurai whispered softly to the little blue beetle. "Just give me your strength one more time, please."

It almost seemed that the little insect raised its little head in his direction to look at him and even share an answer. It was evident to almost everyone that this was not the case, but Kazuha would not say so with such conviction.

The two fighters turned to face each other, initially standing still on their opposite ends but with their entire bodies tense, ready for combat. Demon Warrior X was certainly quite a bit bigger, making him look intimidating. But Kazuha had confidence in Heron Princess. As he had told Ayato, her name was a good luck charm.

Itto's onikabuto was the first to react, charging at his opponent, but at the last moment, Heron Princess moved to the side to avoid it. The red beetle soon turned on again before the blue beetle could counterattack. The heads of both insects collided, starting to push each other. Demon Warrior X's clearly superior size and strength began to outpace him, and Heron Princess's small body began to be pushed toward the edge of the arena, no matter how much the blue beetle resisted.

"That is!" Itto snapped proudly. "A little more, and we will have it!"

The spectators watched everything in silence, without even breathing. Could it be that the winner was decided so quickly?

Just when it seemed Demon Warrior X would push her entirely out of the arena, Heron Princess gracefully moved to the side, flipping the huge scarab around. Right after, she lunged at the red beetle's side, giving it several pushes in that area that caused the larger insect's body to inch to the side.

The match had taken a sudden turn, and this was reflected in everyone's shocked reactions.

Heron Princess continued to push her opponent towards the shore with zeal. Still, before getting him out completely, Demon Warrior X managed to put up resistance with his legs to prevent himself from advancing further. He shook the body right after, pulling Heron Princess off of him and pushing her back. They both faced each other again, and Demon Warrior X launched against him again, bumping their heads against each other.

"Hold on, buddy!" Itto shouted energetically. "You just have to push it a little more! We already have it!"

"You can do it, Heron Princess!" Shouta exclaimed excitedly. "Resist!"