Chapter 45

•Kayden's POV•
(A/N: It's been a lonnggg time(;)

"All charges have been dropped."
I feel my whole body go numb as I see satan himself stand up in his orange jumpsuit, walking out of the courtroom.
For the past three months I've watched my father go through a criminal charge for child abuse in the courtroom.
Now he's free.
I know one thing, and one thing for certain: I'm dead.

I watched as he walked into the courtroom in his orange jumpsuit and shackles. He wouldn't meet my gaze as I sat with my fists clenched.
"Kayden Myers, please come to the witness stand."
I slowly make my way up to the front of the room and sit down.
"Please describe your encounters with Nicholas Myers, your father."
I take a deep breath, and speak, "For as long as I can remember, I have been beaten by, this man and his wife. By my parents. I used to be a small, fragile boy, but I am not anymore. I am not going to be pushed around by anyone, and I will never forgive them for what they did. I remember when I would come home from school I would be greeted by slaps to the face, kicks to the shins. But then as I started getting older, it got worse. I was losing more weight than I was putting on and I often didn't eat for more than fifteen hours at a time. And when I did eat, it was something small, or things that they knew I didn't like. My whole life I have one good memory. When they loved me. Or so I thought. I have a picture, of the four of us at a waterpark. My mother, father, my sister, and myself. She was two years older than me. I was two at the time, and she was riding her bike in the street, and hit by and oncoming car. Ever since then I remember nothing but terrible memories."
"And you witnessed your sister get hit?"
"No. But that has been what I've been told."
"Who has told you this?"
"My parents."
"Do you remember any of the waterpark day?"
"No."
"Is there anything else you feel the need to tell the jury members?"
"No."

//

Now four weeks later we're back in the courtroom to hear the results of my father's trial.
I bite my lip as he walks into the room, not daring to look at me still.
Everyone sits and the room goes silent, except for the judge suffering her papers.
Finally she clears her voice before speaking, "On the twenty-eighth day of May, we are here to read the decision of the jury members."
I shift in my seat and stare ahead at the judge.
"All charges have been dropped."
I see him stand up and this time he looks at me, straight in my eyes, sending a shiver down my spine.
And I know one thing, and one thing for certain: I'm dead.