Passing On The Reality (Chapter 3)

“Okay now just peel the sticker off then—” Carina spoke as she guided Maya through changing an actual diaper. “See you’re already a professional”  She added as Maya was already a step ahead of her. Meanwhile, Finn was lying on his back on the changing table in the nursery, his foot hanging in the air as he desperately tried to place his foot in his mouth, his tongue sticking in the side of his cheek as he continued to giggle every time Carina would make a face at him. She mostly did it so he wouldn't cry or become hard to handle on Maya's first diaper change.

Adjusting the diaper around Finn's waist, she went to stand him, picking him up and letting him balance on his feet for a moment, her hands around his torso making sure he didn’t fall down. Both Maya and Carina's eyes locked onto the wonky diaper that was lopsided. “Okay…it's not, bad?” Carina admitted as she turned her head to the side, her hand held to her chest as she observed Maya's changing job. 

“It's terrible” Maya said as she rolled her head to see Carina still trying to wrap her head around how Maya managed to mess it up so badly. She was standing thee the whole time, watching her, she didn’t see her go wrong once. 

“Is it backwards?” Carina muttered to herself, gaining a frustrated sigh from Maya. “Okay, okay no, it's good.. It- it just needs more work…you will get it eventually bambina” Carina reassured her with a smile. Pressing a soft kiss to Maya's cheek, she nudged her way into her position, taking Finn in her hands and laying him back on the changing table. Where she began to fix the diaper to perfection. 

“So what time is Mason coming today?” Carina asked as she continued making faces to the giggly baby. 

Maya let out a puff of air whilst resting her shoulder against the wall, her arms crossed over her chest as she observed Carina fix her mess. “Three I believe?… Honestly, I'll be surprised if he actually shows up” Maya unenthusiastically replied. Her demeanour dropped from before. She was more playful and soft, but now she seemed tense and almost annoyed.

“Why?” Carina asked, a muddled look on her face as she began to dress Finn back in his onesie. It was covered in little dinosaurs and small fossils. Maya was the one that actually picked it out. It was surprising actually, because they had a firetruck onesie for him, but she didn’t pick that one out. 

“It's Mason…he's got a mind of his own” She half heartedly replied, gazing down at Finn. He had his head turn in her direction, his face slightly crunched up as if he was trying to understand the situation. Maya found it adorable.

“Even if that's true, surely he would show up for the possibility of seeing Finn?” She asked as she peered at the little boy on the changing table, his tongue wandering around his mouth as he waved his arms around. “Isn’t that right!” She spoke, her tone going up an octave as her words were directed at the smiley Finn. Giving his belly a small tickle, she shined the brightest smile from his heart warming laugh. 

“I would think the same thing, but you really wouldn’t know with Mason. For instance-”   Maya pointed her finger to the clueless baby, kicking his legs about and his teething toy now grasped between his little fingers. 

Carina gave her a ‘fair enough’ nod before picking Finn up and placing him against Maya's chest. “Right, I have to get going. Sam is moving in with Andrea today, and I have to try convince him it's a bad idea...for the tenth time”

Maya's eyebrows furrowed together as she willingly grasped onto the baby. It's been a couple of days since Finn arrived at their apartment, and she has gotten used to holding him. He hasn’t had another meltdown in her arms yet, so she is thankful for that. However she has woken up to him crying early hours in the morning, mostly because they were trying to reset his sleeping schedule and he was not very compliant.