Cake And Consideration (Chapter 14)

It's Vic's birthday. Most birthdays at the firehouse are minimal. Maybe a few balloons and a little cake. But this was Victoria Hughes. Vic is a joy of light, a ball of enthusiasm and all around a goofball. No matter how small the occasion, it was going to be big in Vic's eyes. So it was only right for Vic to be able to walk into a beanery full of birthday decor, a wide range of definitely not healthy breakfast foods and a gathering of friends and family.

Maya was currently adding weights to the bottom of the helium balloons, while Andy was kneeled up on the kitchen table taping a happy 33rd birthday banner to the lights that hung in the middle. "You know-" Maya stood upright, next to the table that Andy was currently perched on. "I think Vic won't mind if there is just one banner missing" Andy rolled her head in the direction of Maya, an unpleasant look on her face. "It's just a lot of effort for a single banner, that's all" She stated, her index pointing upwards to the banner taped to the lights.

"Instead of degrading my banner, go ask Carina if she is done with the steamers" Andy was all around a very outgoing person when it comes to decoration. Just like last year's Halloween contribution, she had planned everything with Andrew from decorations to the last sweet in the bowl.

Halloween this year was also only a couple of days away and Andy was already planning another little get together. There was no contribution this time, as the peds floor at Grey-Sloan wasn't heavily packed like it was last year...which Maya was thankful for. She now had a child of her own to worry about, she didn't need anymore eagerly excited children running around.

So instead, Andy had a negotiation with Lucas and Maya to have a family and friends gathering for halloween, nothing big. They easily accepted, mostly because it wasn't much of a difference from what they do on a normal day, but knowing Andy, there was going to be something that she needed persimmon for...and truthfully, Maya was excited to see what it was.

Maya was a lot more excited about Halloween this year. Last years Halloween had been a rocky road for Maya...mostly because during that time she had also exposed her and Carina to the entire station by abruptly kissing her in front of everyone.

But now, here she stood in the lounge doorway watching as Carina fixed birthday streamers and watched Finn crawl around on the carpeted floor, his face flushed and cheeks puffed as he sucked on the blue pacifier in his mouth. She was especially excited this year to see Finn in his little halloween costume. He wasn't old enough just yet to pick out his own, so Maya and Carina did, and they are proud to say they think they choose well.

It's crazy how much things can change in a year, but as Maya watched the scene play out in front of her, a smile of adoration on her face...she wouldn't change it for the world. "Hey" Maya announced herself, walking towards Carina who sat on one of the couches. Her back pressed to the inner side of the armrest and legs tucked in a pretzel position.

She felt Maya's presence close, so instead of turning her head, she tilted her head back, being met with Maya's face already inches from her. Maya placed her palms on either side of Carina's face before bending down and placing a chaste kiss to Carina's soft lips. It was a little awkward as the kiss was upside down, but it filled both womens hearts with warmth.

Carina's face lit up in a toothy grin. "ciao bambina" She spoke, now officially turning her body around so her feet were planted on the floor. This revealed the streamers in her hands that she was currently tying together. Andy had bought plain purple and pink streamers, so Carina was currently tying them together to make a pattern.

"Beeeee!!" Was heard from the floor. Maya quickly turned, seeing the infant sat down by her leg, fumbling with the end of her work trousers.

Maya was starting to get used to this nickname, at least whatever it was. Carina says that as he gets older, his words will be more clear, so Maya is excited to see what Finn has been trying to call her. She likes it so far, mostly because the label mother didn't seem fitting, at least for Maya.