Good Apple (Chapter 13)

A breezy dusk night, that's all that Carina should have felt when she walked out the ER doors, just the midst in the air and the smell of a cold breeze. But instead she felt uneasy, she felt claustrophobic as she followed a path of tension. A path that shouldn’t feel like there are walls around it, but the closer she got to the source of the tension, she could feel these walls pressing against her biceps, applying pressure to her shoulders, then her collarbone until the bone just… snaps.

She halted at the end of the air car, gazing into the well lit area. The light source being one of the only things that lit up the ambulance bay. Other than the red and blue flickering lights and the motion sensored lights that would turn on when someone would enter or leave the ER doors. 

Carina was left to stare into the back of the aid car, watching as the blonde, she most adored, frantically rushed around, restocking quick hand resources and cleaning surfaces, a job in which she did not have to do. She was the captain, what she had to do was conduct who should be resorting the aid car and driving it back to the station, instead, she found herself doing that job. 

“Bambina” Carina's voice causes Maya to half heartedly turn her head around. Her eyes laying on the person she had been expecting. Maya knew after her vulnerable position and of course what she had overheard lingering in the background, that Carina was going to follow.

Carina wasn’t entirely sure on what she should say. She wasn’t clear on how much Maya had heard or if she had just heard her completely violate her brother without any context. So truly Carina could be approaching something taken mildly out of proportion. She could be the one that Maya was angry at right now, especially if she hadn’t heard what Mason had said beforehand. 

Or maybe it didn’t matter, Maya could have heard everything and still be angry at Carina for having a discussion such as that with Mason. It was her brother after all, and Maya cared so much for him that she never saw the truth behind his lies, she never seemed to see what Carina saw when he asked for money. Maya saw a fragile man who needed help…while Carina saw an ungrateful, using man. 

“Are you okay?” Carina asked, not really knowing where they stood, so she started off simple so she could set a middle ground for what was happening in Maya's head right now. 

“Yep, I'm just…tired. Long day” Maya spaced out, her mind seemed to be in a different universe. Almost as if she had purposefully left this universe so she didn’t have to deal with the reality of the conversation she had just overheard.

Carina offered a nod, still taking a moment to scan over Maya's posture. “Maya he-” 

“I just, I really want to get this ready for when it's back at the station” Maya cut her off. She was comfortable in the universe in her head, she really did not want to return back to reality. “You were right” Returning to restock, Maya's back shuddered. She could feel Carina's look of sympathy burning into her back, she could feel that burn, the burn of sorrow that followed Carina's somber face. 

“What he said, is not true bella” 

“No, it is, all of it was true”

“No, it was not-”

“I think I just fought so hard to not see it, you know? All of it, his overdose, the money, I didn’t want to see it. To see the truth” Maya mumbled as she hastily walked around the back of the aid car, her hands waving around as she spoke. “The lies- he's right, I lied to you” Aggressively shoving a packet of gauze into a small cabinet and shutting it close with a sigh, Maya was left standing to do nothing. She finished restocking too fast and now she was left to float back down to reality. She no longer had anything to distract herself with. “It's all my fault-”