Something Like Badmouth Gossip (Chapter 30)

Scattered, unorganised. 

Maya didn’t like mess. Which some would say is ironic considering she lived amongst a one year old, But when it came to her office, her personal belongings, she needed it to be worryingly clean. From the corners of papers aligning, to binders being in size order on her shelf. It needed to be precise, and right now…it wasn’t. 

The battalion chief had arrived just a while ago, he had been going around to multiple stations requesting to see their in person recent intakes, meaning to see the amount of people who had manually made their way to the fire station, like entering through the lobby, or hectically crashing through the barn doors…that sort of thing.

However, there was never an established protocol for walk in’s. In fact there was no protocol at all, you were just told to approach the situation and give somewhat of a consultation on whatever their problem may be. There was nothing wrong with that of course, the crew at nineteen always helped where they could, but now that there was a possible arsonist threat scouring the fire stations of Seattle, walk in’s were now obliged to sign their names as sign of their recent activity in the fire stations. 

In the last three weeks, three fire stations have been attacked simultaneously to one another. The numbers didn’t seem to go in order however, Fifty-six, eight and then thirty-four. It was only until the third one that the FBI had decided to take action. It was now under investigation, and from the evidence, it seems all three fires had been strategically fitted to that specific fire station. Each gasoline soaked sponge with a remote igniter was placed in the weakest part of the station…meaning this individual had been casing each station before attacking it.

This means, Maya has been frantically reading paperwork, clipping binders and passing off the recent week's walk in’s to the battalion chief all morning in any chance of possibly matching the individual with the other stations walk in’s. There was no guarantee that this individual would attack nineteen, and even so, Maya belives if this person was truly trying to set stations alight, that they would disguise themselves, and writing their name on a piece of paper would defeat the whole purpose of being incognito.

The new system has been chaotic to try and apply to the crew, most of the time they just forgot to ask for their names. It was a habit for the crew to treat walk in’s, they have been doing it for years, so implementing a new system has become somewhat stressful. 

Robert Sullivan was hardheaded, he always was, but some part of Maya wished he was still that softie he became when he was with Andy. It would have made her morning a little less stressful and manageable. But now, she was surrounded with paperwork, binders out of place, staples that she accidentally knocked to the floor and a splitting headache caused by the guilt her netty brain decided to let in. 

It was January seventh. Also known as the day of Mason’s trial, also known as the day two days after her and Carina’s meeting with Lori. 

Even though everything seemed to work out in their favour, with no holes for error to slip through, it was starting to feel like everything came at once, stacking higher and higher on a platter, one after the other until it forced itself to fall over from the weight. Knowing they were going to have Finn under their care for life was a good foundation, but as more emotions without solutions piled on, they were being left without the structuring supports needed to hold all that weight. 

Although there was no word whether or not Mason wanted Maya at his trial, she still couldn’t help but feel a wave of guilt whenever she was reminded that today was his trial. She was working while Mason might possibly be sent into lock up. Ryan had informed her it was highly unlikely for him to go to prison, but he did say it was likely he would have to do community service.