Look, Shark! (Chapter 15)

“No, don't even-” With her index finger pointed up and face strict, Maya watched the eleven month old baby crawl away from her with great speed. She hastily dropped the boy's pants to the floor before trying to stand up before Finn could crawl out the door of his nursery. “Finn, get your a- your behind back here”

As the words spilled from Maya's mouth, Carina soon appeared in the doorway, Finn in her arms, half of his shark costume on as he eagerly shook his arms around, hitting his palms against Carina's cheeks on accident.

“Are you giving beeno a hard time?” She questioned, looking down at Maya who had only made it halfway up off the nursery floor.

“Beeno!!” Finn screeched out. He had recently picked up the rest of the syllables the other day. His words still seemed slightly gurgled, so both Carina and Maya weren't entirely sure if Beeno was his final pronunciation of Maya's nickname. He hadn't seemed to make an effort to add more letters or syllables like he was trying to before…so for now, until Finn expanded his vocabulary, Maya was officially Beeno.

They believe he picked it up from Carina constantly calling Maya bambina all the time, which made the nickname even cuter. “yes, very much so- what is it with him not liking pants?” Maya exhaustingly asked, now standing up in front of the eager infant and her adored girlfriend.

“Not all sharks wear pants Maya” Carina giggled, eyeing the way Finn kicked his exposed legs out. He really did love wearing just his diaper.

“How come you're on his side…I don't want his legs getting cold” Maya said with a pout, placing her fingers around the little boy's foot.

Maya reached out to take Finn back, hoping to dress him in the rest of the grey shark costume, but his fist clenched around Carina's sweater. It was a plain black sweater with an outline of a white ghost knitted into the front. She had tried to get Maya to wear it, but Maya used the excuse of having to be in her uniform, so instead Carina wore it. Plus Carina looked adorable in it. Her light blue denim jeans pair nicely with it, along with the low cut converse.

“Okay, I will work around Carina” Maya spoke aloud, knowing that Finn's strong grip on Carina meant that he did not want to be let go. She picked the grey pants off the floor, walking back to Finn who looked like he was strangling Carina with his grip.

“Is this going to be the same as last year?” Carina questions as Maya slipped Finn's legs through the bottoms.

“No, it's more just a family and friends thing. There wasn't a need for a contribution this year. Your brother said something about Arizona having it under control” She adjusted the waist of Finn's bottoms, slipping them up so it sat above his diaper. “Now” Gently squeezing her thumb and index against Finn's cheek, she confirmed to the young boy that he was finished getting changed

It was a simple little costume that they had come across when shopping. It was a plain grey tracksuit like set, with a flimsy foam shark fin on the back. It did come with a shark hat, but Finn didn't agree with it very much…and by that, he pulled it off every time it was sat on his head, so Maya just gave up and decided to just let his blonde curls hang loose instead.

“So, you're going to be on call this year?” Carina uneasingly asked whilst watching Maya walk back over to where she and Finn were previously sitting on the floor, she began to pick up the infants toys of choice and tuck them away in his play bin.

“Yeah. The calls are split between us and twenty three, so it should be decently calm, but it is Halloween after all, a lot of people like to either blow their faces off with illegal fireworks or start fires with them” Maya said a little too excitedly. Although she had the fear in her chest of facing danger, knowing who she wanted to get back too, she couldn't help but spark a smile at the possible calls they could come across.