Caterpillar That Can't Cocoon (Chapter 25)

Ten days. There were ten days until Christmas and Maya still hid the rings in her desk at work. She was indecisive, not just about which ring to choose, but because she doesn't know when to present the ring.

She looked around at the apartment, seeing all the decorations, the Christmas tree that they had to remove the bottom layer of baubles from because Finn kept on pulling them off, which made it a little funky looking, but that's life with a one year old, you never know what you're gonna get.

"Travis, Jesus!" Maya jumped slightly as the man appeared behind her, his two hands bracing her shoulders as she held her hand to her heart.

"Sorry sorry" He contagiously smiled, turning to look around before positioning himself in front of the blonde. "Are you gonna do it here?" He excitedly asked, his grin spreading to his ears.

"A Christmas party? You want me to propose at a christmas party, in our own apartment surrounded by people we see everyday?" She looked at him, unimpressed at his obliviousness.

"Yes, it's romantic"

"It's boring" Maya replied bluntly, gaining a pout from the man.

"What's boring?" Carina asked, halting next to Maya, looking at the now two very pale faces.

"uh, his choice of clothing" She stumbled slightly, nodding a little too much at her poor attempts at convincing the italian.

"What's wrong with my clothing?" He questioned defensively, completely forgetting that Maya was using it as a cover up. "Oh right yeah, Maya thinks I have a... bad wardrobe" He doubled back when he saw Maya press her lips and widen her eyes at him.

"You said it, not me" Maya chuckled, gaining a little shoulder bump from Carina.

"Whatever... Where's Ryan, I need to know if dressing up as Santa while drunk is illegal" He mumbled under his breath before walking off, remembering not to leave without offering the couple a smile.

"I don't think the Santa thing is the problem, maybe public intoxication though" The blonde answered the question herself, causing Carina to smile as she turned to face her.

"You wore it" Carina smirked, gazing down at Maya's festive sweater. It was a plain red cotton sweater with a green Christmas tree imprinted onto the front, but the baubles were bells, so you definitely knew when Maya was near.

"Well, Finn refused to let me take it off, he liked the bells to much, and you know how hard it is to say no to that face"

"Are you sure that's the only reason?"

"Yes...definitely"

"Not because you're in the Christmas spirit, or that you love me so much you wanted to match with me?" Carina teased. She also wore a Christmas jumper. It was the same concept, Christmas tree on a red jumper... however her jumper didn't have bells, which would have come in handy for when she easily snuck up on Travis and Maya, almost causing the blonde to ruin her ongoing plan at a marriage proposal.

"The latter" Maya whispered before poking her nose against Carina's in a little eskimo kiss, the smell of a light foundation flooding her nose. Whilst she pulled back, she gazed around briefly, scanning the living room before playfully shimmying more into Carina's hold to steal a small peck, whisking Carina in a wave of warmth for a short duration. Maya had noticed not many people were around to catch them, but she didn't chance prolonging the kiss, especially when half of their guests were still in the kitchen, picking at the cookies Carina had previously baked.

"Where's the mistletoe?" Or at least Maya thought no one was around. Carina leaned back, catching a glimpse at the man. She was not pleased by their short lived kiss, so she decided to latch herself onto Maya's side, leaning her cheek against Maya's shoulder, hoping the closeness would subside the need for physical contact.