It's Not About The Contents, But About The Joy It Brings (Chapter 27)

Time. A measurement of ongoing events, a sequence of succession. Time doesn't last long. Especially when you have a slim amount of it. But what's worse is when you don't know how much time you actually have left, how long until the ongoing event has met its end?

“Annnd time!!” Vic stamped her hand down on the coffee table, lifting the miniature hourglass up to show the surrounding people. 

“That thing is broken,” Travis complained, his arms crossed over his chest and his lips frowning in a pout. “How is this fair? My teammate isn't even paying attention” He stated, pointing his hand to Maya who sat on the couch in the lounge, Finn jumping in her lap as she pulled silly little faces at him to gain giggles from him.

“So is your excuse for losing, the hour glass, or Maya's parenting skills?” Vic smartly asked, placing the charade cards down on the coffee table.

“Why are you the judge for time anyway? We all know you cheat in Monopoly, what's stopping you from cheating at Charades?” He questioned back, gaining a few breathy laughs from the rest of the team. “Maya, where is Carina anyway? Isn't she supposed to be your teammate” He complained.

It was a tradition for the team to get together with their families on Christmas eve. Some may not be able to show, but if they could, it was an annual thing they did. They would gather around, play boardgames or just talk about anything and everything. It was technically just a large family gathering, but with more obligation to talk.

“Glad to know you enjoy me as your teammate” She sarcastically spoke, allowing Finn to sit steadily in her lap, leaning forward so he could fumble with the velcro straps on his shoes. “And, she is just running late, she has been working more hours at the clinic. She should be here soon”

“So my wife convinced her then. I'm glad Carina decided to help” Ben spoke up. He sat on the opposite side of the lounge, Tuck sat beside him eagerly tapping through his phone.

“Convinced?” Maya questioned, confused at what Carina was convinced for. Carina had said she willingly decided to help out, she never said anything about needing to be convinced.

“Yeah, you know…she said no at first, but I'm glad she agreed, after all, Miranda could use the help. The clinic has been dropping in staff due to the protests”

“Right. Yeah” Maya nodded, pretending as if she knew exactly what Ben was talking about, but in hindsight…she hadn't a clue. Carina had told her nonchalantly about the clinic, there was no information regarding Carina needing to be convinced…in fact, now that Maya thought about it, there was no discussion at all about Carina helping out in the clinic.

Obviously, Carina didn’t owe an explanation as to why she was helping out, but Maya still thought that a thought of consideration on her behalf would've been nice.

“Are we playing again? Or are you going to continue to be a sore loser?” Vic questioned, shuffling the charade cards in her hand as she did a little victory dance by shimying her shoulders. 

“I am not a sore loser!…the game just isn’t fair. Plus, Maya sucks at charades, I had to act out Pirates Of The Caribbean, and she said Jake And The Never Land Pirates” 

“Hey! In my defence, I have a one year old, okay, my brain is corrupted from kid TV shows” 

“She's not wrong, I think I memorised the entire script of Peppa Pig by the time Pru was two” Dean announced, walking into the lounge, a mug of coffee in his hand. “However, don’t mention Peppa Pig anywhere near her, or else she will beg you to put it on for her. She once used up my entire phone battery watching it… I forgot to pick up my dry cleaning that day” He recalled the event, thinking back to the day as he sat down beside Jack and Logan.