Wounded (Chapter 5)

A little tweak, a small thread, a sizzle of the flame.

A small thread, a little tweak, tear in the muscle.

That little tweak went from, walking, to limping, to a small dark bruise forming around her ankle bone, and now, swollen tissue protecting the tear in her muscle. Yet...she didn't know that. She didn't know that the pain that coursed through her foot, all the way to her calf, was a torn muscle, a strained ankle as some would say...but for Maya, she would call it a diversion, a distraction from what she needed to do, and for what needed to be done.

For one, she had her drills in two days, and running them on a strained ankle, may not be the best thing. Yes, she had run on a sprained ankle before, but her mindset was different then. She doesn't have the fear of walking twenty miles home after her track meet, or not being allowed to have dinner because she hadn't come first in a race. She didn't have those kinds of consequences anymore, she didn't have to walk twenty miles and she could eat whatever and whenever she wanted.

"Hi!" A high pitch italian accent entered the atmosphere.

Maya turned her head to face the source, meeting with her goddess of a girlfriend peeking her head around the door of her office. "Hi?" She replied, slightly questionable, considering Carina had said she wouldn't be off shift until five in the afternoon. It was two in the afternoon and Maya was still waiting for her dose of painkillers to take a toll. "What are you doing here?" Her question came out more dry than expected, mostly because she had just stood up from her desk, so she could be near the Italian, but the pressure in her ankle caused her to stop at the edge of her desk, her calves staying in touch with her chair and her hands bracing the edge of the desk.

"I wanted to see you before I picked Finn up from daycare" The brunette spoke as she closed the door to the office. The shut out blinds bounced off the door slightly as she walked towards the blonde.

"Finn, oh my god! I forgot, I have- i've been busy with signing off the forms for the drills last week, I can't believe-"

"Bambina, it's okay, the daycare called me, I just informed them I'll be there a little later than usual" Carina cut the blonde off from her spiral, closing the distance between them by repositioning herself around the captain's desk.

"Then usual? It's two thirty, how long are you planning to stay-" Maya was stopped by the italians hand on her collar. Her thumb and index finger delicately added enough pressure to pull the blonde further into her grasp. Their faces mere inches as Carina gazed at the firefighters' features.

Her eyes shifted between the blonde's confused expression, and the pucker lips that looked very appealing. She closed the centimetre gap, allowing their lips to brush against one another's before pressing her lips against hers in a tender and passion filled kiss. "I missed you" Carina's lips mumbled against Mayas, her forehead pressed against the captains and their breaths bouncing off one another's heated skin.

"I missed you too" The blonde added back, her hands now being firmly pressed on Carina's waist as the feeling of Carinas hands repositioned themselves from her collar to her face.

"Do you want to watch Yellowstone tonight?" The Italian's question caused Maya to fling her head back in question.

"What?! You hate Yellowstone, why would you want to watch that?" She asked, her tone was intrigued with a slight high pitch octave. Even though she was trying to get to the real reason as to why Carina was giving an odd suggestion, she couldn't contain her excitement about her girlfriend recommending to watch her favourite show.

"I don't hate it"

"Yes you do! When was the last time you sat through a full episode without falling asleep?" Maya teased, holding in a chuckle at the italians face. Her lips were forming in a small pout and her eyebrows were clenched together in thought. It was very cute.