Saturn's Rings (Chapter 26)

“Ciao mio figlio!” Carina exclaimed, crouching down to the infant that sat on the carpeted floor of the daycare. “Are you ready to leave?” She questioned, watching as Finn crawled to her, resting his palm against her knee and tucking his tongue behind his bottom lip. “We have to pick Maya up first and then we can go home, okay piccolo?” This time Carina lifted Finn into her arms, picking him up to rest against her side before playfully poking the tip of his nose, gaining a stretched chuckle. 

She soon left the daycare, signing Finn out on the way. The night was oddly warm…it was late December but the breeze seemed to be non-existent and the cold didn’t leave her or Finn with flushed cheeks. She buckled Finn into his car seat, making sure to double check the straps before tickling him lightly under his chin and closing the back door to her Porsche. 

She turned the heating on almost immediately when she sat in the driver seat. Even though the night wasn’t bitterly cold like usual winter nights were, she still had Finn to worry about, he was still only small so he grew colder quicker. He also grew tempered quicker. Finn didn’t enjoy car rides very much, in fact he hated them. There wasn’t much room for him to stretch his legs and kick about, and the small mobile above him didn’t keep him entertained long enough. 

So both Maya and Carina have had to implement a new method…which just so happened to be really long, overly stretched out, slightly annoying baby songs. The alphabet, different animals, numbers, and Maya's favourite, what type of professions people have. She only enjoyed it because it was one step closer for Finn saying firefighter.

Carina tries her best to block out the songs. It's not that they annoy her, she enjoys to see Finn smiling graciously, or clapping his hands together when one of the songs sings about sharks, reminding him of his Mr. Shark teddy that Maya took credit in naming. But the songs just feel very drawn out, she's almost sure she hasn’t heard so many ways to spell cat.

Pulling into the station's parking lot, she made sure to choose a parking spot that had enough space around it, limiting the chances of scratching the Porsche. Apart from her family and her career, her Porsche had to be one of her biggest possessions. It was her priority to keep it safe, clean and in tip top shape. She would be lying if she didn’t slightly fear the possible consequences of having a one year in the back seat, because she did. Kids were known to be subconsciously messy, and although she loved Finn dearly, she also loved her car. 

She loved the clean silk of her leather seats, the fresh smell of air freshener and hoovered floor mats. She adored the large front console that gave her endless possibilities, her steering wheel that she abides to getting a cover for, instead opting to leave its true leather beauty to lay beneath her palm and fingertips whilst she drove smoothly down elongated roads, the sound of asphalt beneath the tires, loud enough to drown out the sound of the engine with over three hundred and forty horsepower. 

After pushing her hand firmly against the handbrake, her eyes shifted to gaze into the rear view mirror, fixing on the infant's scrunching face. The music player was off now, which means Finn was back to hating the vehicle's experience. Carina tried not to take offence to it, because, come on, who wouldn’t want to be in Carina’s Porsche. 

“Okay, let's go shall we?” Carina spoke, unclipping the little boy’s buckles, watching as his face grew in excitement. She shut her car doors, locking it soon after. Finn had only been in his car seat for a little less than ten minutes but he was already kicking his legs like he was trying to take flight. 

Carina walked into the station, a wild Finn attached against her side as she scanned around what seemed to be a barren station. She stepped further into the lobby, peeping into the barn where her eyes met with the emptiness. Both the aid car and trucks were nowhere to be seen, meaning Carina and Finn were going to be waiting a little longer than they had imagined.