Bad Apple (Chapter 12)

Another side effect about not having a tolerance to alcohol is the hangover that tails it. No matter how many ibuprofen and pints of water Maya consumed before falling asleep last night, nothing would have stopped the stampede of a hangover that followed. 

Her face twisted and contorted from the sun that beamed against her face. The small gap in the curtain made it almost impossible to open her eyes without accepting a wave of pain behind her eyes. Truthfully, it wasn’t the sun that was causing this pain, it was the one too many shots, and far less amount of water that she should have consumed more of. 

“Good you’re awake, I was scared I would have to wake up” Carina voiced as she re-entered the room, a mug in her hand. 

Maya, who was completely sprawled across the bed, rotated her head to face the Italian who was nearing her. She graced her face with a smile for a split second, admiring the way Carina elegantly sautered closer. Maya still couldn't believe how someone so beautiful as Carina could look jaw dropping in just a pair of bed shorts and Maya's station nineteen hoodie. She squinted her eyes as another wave of pain caused the smile to drop and force her to shove her face into her pillow with a grunt. 

“Here, I made you coffee” The Italian added whilst placing the mug on Maya's nightstand. She then took a seat on the edge of the bed, waiting for Maya to sit up.

Maya eventually made it up into a sitting position, her blonde locks sprawled across her furrowed face. “Thank you” Maya scraped out, her voice coming out more raspy than usual, mostly from the deep, drunken slumber.

It was silent for a moment as Carina sat and watched Maya take a sip of coffee, her face relaxing at the taste and her posture un-tensing was a physical sign of Maya's gratitude. “How are you feeling?” The Italian spoke up, fixating her eyes on the scattered fire captain. 

“Groggy…and honestly humiliated, what did I do last night?” 

Well, there were a lot of things Maya had dived in. Literally. Once Carina had got both Finn and Maya into the apartment, Maya came crashing down into the couch, diving head first into the pillows. It gave Carina enough time to put Finn in his crib for the rest of the night. He was already fast asleep when she picked him up from Ameilas, which she was thankful for. 

However the only thing Carina wanted to mention was the conversation that Maya had sparked up, before being cut off by her nausea. Once Carina picked Finn up, she gave him a scan over to make sure he was in fact fine. When there was no sign of the infant being hurt, Carina acknowledged now that Maya mixed up Finn with someone else, and she wanted to know who. To know who was hurt and bruised, and why it was causing Maya so much pain. 

“A lot of drunken stumbles, but nothing I haven't seen before” She added, first seeing Maya's face twist, almost as if she was in pain from Carina's words. “You did say some stuff though”

“Oh god, what did I say?..whatever it is, it's not true, unless it's not bad” Carina gave her tight lip smile, showing that what Maya had said wasn’t as tarnishing as Maya was picturing it to be. Carina did however want to soften the conversation by first mentioning the whole ‘soon to be wife’ dilemma. Carina would be lying if that wasn’t another discussion that she wanted to have. But she was scared that it would lead to something else, and right now she wanted to know who Maya was talking about last night. 

“Nothing bad, I hope. But you mentioned someone being hurt, bruised? You were really sad about it, bambina” At first Maya wavered through her thoughts, confusion clear on her face as to what Carina might be talking about, and when she did realise, her head dropped to her lap for a moment, as if she was bracing her facial expression.