Don't Desire (Chapter 21)

“How are you feeling?” The curly brunette asked whilst helping take a grocery bag from the italian's hands.

“Horrible” Carina replied, tailing beside Vic, who had previously been on desk duty, but due to her boredom, she was now helping Carina bring up ingredients for Thanksgiving dinner.

“What do you need? A hug? Maya?...Vodka?” Vic spoke her last word with a small smirk. She was glad that it put a gentle smile on Carina's face, but the smile didn't seem to linger for too long.

“I need this day to be over” She exhaled out.

The day seemed to go slower and slower as the hours passed. Each hour grew longer, and she knew staring at the clocks around the station definitely did not help with letting the day go by fast, but she couldn't help herself.

It had only been three hours since Finn was taken to spend the day with the woman who calls herself his mother, and every second of it had been torture. From the moment Maya had handed Finn over to the women, to the moment she took the last step to the beanery.

She couldn't seem to wipe the vision of Finn's bottom lip wobbling, or how instead of his palms pressing into the women's cheeks, they pushed against her chest, pulling as far away as he could. It was slowly killing Carina from the inside. The sounds of his peppered cries echoing down the hallway still lingered in her ears, the way he called out for both her and Maya was the final straw that almost caused her to run out into the hallway, but Maya's hand on her shoulder stopped her.

If it wasn't for Maya's comforting embrace, she probably would have committed a crime by taking Finn back and leaving the country. It was a torture that she wouldn't even wish upon her worst enemy.

“I'm sure he is being very disobedient, kicking and yelling, making it not so appealing for them. Finn will be home in no time” Vic placed her free hand on the top of Carina's back as they entered the beanery, trying her best to be the comforting friend that Carina needed. And Carina knew she was just trying to help, but the thought of Finn kicking and yelling was not helping with the torture that was eating at her.

So instead of a verbal response, Carina just offered a plastered smile. She didn't want to talk about it anymore, she was bruising herself enough by staring at clocks like watching paint dry, she didn't need to be constantly reminded that Finn wasn't here for Thanksgiving.

But as she walked into the beanery, the conversations grew quiet as everyone's eyes migrated to her, looks of sorrow behind everyone's iris as she walked into the kitchen. She couldn't see Maya anywhere, and she couldn't blame her. If this is what she experienced when she first walked into the station today, she would also hide away, stop the looks of saddened eyes and comforting words that didn't help, no matter how much Carina tried to let them.

“Uh, where's Maya?” Carina questioned Vic after placing the bags of groceries on the kitchen island.

“I think she's in the conference room” Carina thanked her quickly before nodding a smile to everyone as a way to excuse herself.

“This is wrong” Jack was the first to speak when Carina left the room. “Thanksgiving is a day of thanks, family. This is unfair, they shouldn't have to spend their day without their son”

“It's family court, Jack. I'm sure if they could do something, they would” Logan was next to speak. She placed her hand on the man's forearm, trying to ease his emotions.

“No, I agree. It's unfair. What? So they are just supposed to sit around pretending to be fine as we get to spend time with our families while a part of theirs has been taken away?” Dean spoke up. His words very passionate and fierce. He couldn't even imagine spending this day without Pru, he couldn't imagine what Maya and Carina were feeling right now. He had grown close to both of them during this upswing of parenthood, especially after his talk with Maya on Halloween. They were parents, and seeing that Carina and Maya didn't get to spend this holiday with their soon to be son, it ached his heart.