Delta Emerald Arc Chapter 5 - Burn the World

The crackle of the fire was enough to keep me sane over the endless white noise the storm was making beyond the cave entrance. It had been a struggle, the toughest push of my life, but I had eventually made it out of the storm on one leg. The Zorua I found was fast asleep eventually warming up to the fire. I was lucky to find her, she was frozen to the touch but just about hanging on.

To be honest, I was more shocked by the fact she trusted me so quickly to help her. I heard stories of the Zoroark line, the constant blinded revenge they seek was enough to send a child to bed with constant nightmares. I should have known those stories were just fairytales. Lowering my head I felt myself drifting off the dancing flames engulfing and welcoming me into a false sense of security. But with each attempt, I would snap awake fighting back the sleep.

"You can't sleep just yet Y/N..." I whisper looking towards the cave entrance and hearing the faint cry of a Pokemon through the blizzard. I couldn't quite tell what it was, but it wasn't hard to guess thanks to my new guest. "Don't worry little guy, I'll stay awake all night if I have to."

Yawning again I turned my attention to my ankle wincing in pain, The bandages I had used were sloppy and already falling apart nor was it swelling down. I had no idea how I was meant to get back to Jubilife Village on foot. In an ideal world, someone would find me and help would be on the way. But how long that would take is another question...

Wiping my eyes I felt alone and scared. I was trying to keep a brave face going but it was too late for that as I let out a faint whimper. Looking back up I was startled to find the Zorua awake approaching me curious. Quickly rubbing the tears from my eyes I smiled briefly. "Hey... Y-You should get some sleep, I. I don't even know if you can understand me?"

Zorua tilted her head clearly listening to what I was saying, Was she trying to understand? Keeping her distance she kept watching as I looked back to the fire sighing. "So, why were you out here all alone girl? Were you running away too?"

Zorua returned with a light bark surprising me. "You too huh? Snap, I don't even know what to say when I do return home. Fat chance I'll be accepted into the Galaxy Team after this stunt. I can already imagine their faces..."

Standing close to the fire Zorua began licking her leg, getting a better look I could tell she scrapped it, most likely on a rock, she noticed backing away growling. "H-Hey, you're hurt. L-Let me help you with that." 

Tearing off a piece of my bandage that was hanging off I folded it in half applying some spare leek I had in my bag. Holding it up I could tell how on edge the Pokemon was. "It's ok... It's for, f-for your leg. It will make you better."

It took some time but eventually, Zorua approached allowing me to help her. Any other time I would have been freaking out, I was most likely one of, if not the first person to get this close to a Zorua before. But I was too exhausted to show such excitement. It had been a long night. Tightening the hold I nodded coughing. "A-All done. How does that feel?"

Zorua began putting pressure on her leg seeming pleased by the work. So much in fact she came over and sat on my lap curling up and snuggling into my chest. I was frozen in shock, I didn't want to move just in awe. "I-I take it you're happy girl. I've never seen a Zorua with your colour before, is that why you ran away? The others treated you differently?"

Zorua let out a low whimper confirming my suspicions. "That's not very nice. I think you look really cool. I- I *Yawn* should just rest my eyes for a moment..."

It wouldn't take me long to forget all my worries, the echoing trance of the snowstorm, the warmth of the fire and now the comfort of not being alone. All of it was wrapped up in a neat bow as I fell asleep, ready to take on whatever the next day would bring...