Delta Emerald Arc Chapter 10 - End of the Road Part 1

I've rubbed shoulders with death a handful of times now. Each one never really sunk in just how lucky I was. Freezing out in the snow with a twisted ankle, ambushed by an Alpha Snorlax, Time Machine stealing me, falling out of an exploding plane. But this was different.

I had escaped mostly unharmed because I was lucky, maybe Arceus pitied me. But I suppose my luck was bound to run out eventually. 

My screams had died out. My voice cracking. I could only let out small echoes of my former tears. Lashing out had done nothing, reaching for my Pokeball less. The Deoxys had gotten a firm grip on me ready to absorb me into the future. What would happen to me? Would I cease to exist? Would I live on in this Pokemon?

Would anyone even know? Would anyone ever find me?

Trying to fight back once more I felt my arm becoming numb I was too late.

"Dragonite Hyperbeam!"

Suddenly like clockwork, fate, destiny, a stray Pokemon attack took out the Deoxys freeing me. Dropping to the ground before me stood a Dragonite and a striking trainer with flaming red hair and an over-the-top cape putting Zinnia's to shame. The powerful trainer came to my aid helping me up. "Are you alright young man? Are you hurt?"

"I-I'm ok," I said only managing to respond in crackles my vocal cords a mess. "W-Who are you?"

"Worry about that in due time." He responded rising to the challenge of three more Deoxys. "What abomination tries to evolve humanity into its image? Dragonite hold nothing back, show them what humans and Pokemon can do."

Dragonite and this trainer made quick work of the aliens like it was nothing more than a pack of bidoofs. Once the coast was mostly clear the three of us stepped back out of sight from more Deoxys attacking. The man checked over me once more concerned. "Any broken bones? Did you hit your head?"

Shaking in response I held my hand trying to stop it from shaking. That attempt was futile. "Th-Thank you."

"I'm glad I arrived when I did. We hadn't heard any response from Hoenn in quite some time. But suddenly out of nowhere distress beacons and SOS messages flooded Johto, I got here as soon as possible."

Word was getting out to the world? It must have been because of team Phoenix's base being destroyed. I wanted to tell him everything that happened. All about the Shadow Pokemon, the evil team leader and the relic. But no words could come out. I found myself shaken beyond belief by what happened.

The man kneeled to my level placing a hand on my shoulder. "Hey, everything is going to be alright now. Everyone is held up in the Pokemon Contest Hall, I'll get you to safety, stay right by my side. Oh yes, I suppose you did ask. I am Lance of the Elite Four and Dragon Master. I assume by the appearance you are Y/N? No?"

"H-How?"

"Steven has gotten me up to scratch over the matter. Leave these Deoxys to the adults, your priority should be getting to safety."

"T-T-Thank you... Lance."

As we began the journey back I glanced to the sky, what was left to see. The Dexoys were beginning to scatter, spreading across the area. But in the distance, I still saw it. Rayquaza. Zinnia.

****

It was as Lance said, the few towns in the surrounding area had taken shelter in the Pokemon Contest Hall. I didn't know much about this sport, but from what I gathered in Sinnoh, this is more of a showcase of the Pokemon's passion and appearance than pure prowess. Huddled up in the corner of the hall I took a moment to breathe, my mind had become a Chansy's hard-boiled egg, cracking by the second. I was safe, for now. Most of the other survivors looked just as spooked, especially the children. However, several trainers, nurses and volunteers kept strong helping where needed.