41

"Daddy, are you and Mommy fighting?" Beth asked as she and Puck got out of the car.

"No." Puck shook his head. "No, don't worry about me and Mommy, okay?"

"Ohhhkaaay." Beth muttered, unconvinced.

"Remember what I said about today." Puck added. "I have important meetings this morning, so I'm gonna need you to be on your best behavior."

"I will." Beth promised.

"That means no whining, no interrupting, no arguing." Puck reminded Beth.

"I know, Daddy." Beth said.

"Just making sure." Puck said, offering Beth his hand. "Come on. I'll buy you ice cream after this."

"Really?" Beth asked.

"If you behave." Puck added as Beth took his hand and the pair went inside.

"Puckerman!"

"Hey." Puck said.

"Aaaand you brought your kid."

"I didn't have anyone to watch her." Puck muttered. "But she's a good kid and she's just gonna sit with her iPad in the back."

"Puckerman."

"This won't become a pattern." Puck promised. "Right, Beth? Say hi."

"Hi." Beth said.

"Let's go."

-

"Thanks for today, B." Puck said as he started driving. "I know it took longer than we expected, but everything went well and you were so good."

"Do I get my ice cream now?" Beth wondered.

Puck laughed lightly. "You get anything you want today."

"Can we hang out with Mommy after?" Beth asked.

"She's not home." Puck told Beth. "But we can get ice cream and then watch a movie or play a game. Whatever you want."

"Can I ride my bike?" Beth requested.

"Sure." Puck nodded. "Are you hungry? I can make you lunch."

"I'm not hungry." Beth said.

"You're still gonna get ice cream." Puck promised. "I just wanna make sure you eat."

"Okay, let's have lunch and then ice cream."

"Sounds like a plan."