Chapter 20

During the next week, all you can think about is Nagito and your new group of friends at Hope's Peak. You feel like you owe them all for being there for you. Never before have you had such good friends. Even though your focus is mainly set on the white-haired boy who has won over your heart, you do like his friends a lot and you feel at ease knowing they like having you around as well. It has taken you a bit to realize they really do enjoy your company even though you are not an ultimate member of their school. 

There is one thing that weighs heavily on your mind, however. They seem to like you far more than Nagito. Knowing how Nagito idolizes them makes this fact bother you. You know he would love nothing more than to be included in everything they do. Even though he always goes on about how he's "useless" and wants to be a mere "stepping stone" to their success, you know he wants them to like him. You're sure that deep inside, he would love for them to include him in their activities. The only one who seems interested in letting him in was Chiaki. The class rep is truly the only one who treats him with consistent kindness. The others seem to just mutter about how weird he is and they distance themselves from him and his philosophical rants. Even though you're glad that you're the one he seems to be the closest to, you just wish they could make an attempt to be nicer to him.

You would like to somehow thank Peko for saving you and your best friend a few nights earlier. You and Nagito haven't been hanging out with the class as much this week, so you would like to figure out a way to show your gratitude when you see him again. Or, perhaps, you could give Nagito a gift to give to her when they're in class together. If you do, however, you want to give him one too. You feel obligated to do so. He deserves your gratitude just as much as she does. His friendship with you has really changed your life for the better, at least in your opinion. 

Now, as you leave the school building, you're surprised to see two people with Nagito. Chiaki and Kazuichi are both waiting with him in the usual spot beneath the tree. Chiaki waves at you the moment she sees you. Smiling, you wave back and go over to join them. When you get there, you curiously ask them what's going on. This is the first time Nagito has brought his friends over to pick you up from school. 

"Oh, I just thought that Kazuichi and I could use some time away from the school," Chiaki explains. She's eyeing the pink-haired boy nervously, as though having a completely different motive for bringing him with her. "He doesn't get out enough. Besides, I also want him to become better friends with Nagito."

Curiously, you glance from them to Nagito. It was as though the universe had been reading your thoughts all day. Nagito silently gazes back at you, his friendly face as unreadable as ever. 

Kazuichi has a scowl on his face and he is skeptically glaring over at Nagito. "Yeah, whatever. I'm not sure if I can ever really get close to him. Everything always goes crazy when I'm around him!" 

You're not sure whether to laugh or wince at Kazuichi's comment. You wish he would be nicer to Nagito, especially when he's right there within earshot. You glance at Nagito, unsurprised to see that he has his normal cheerful smile on his face. As usual, he is totally unbothered by the comments about him. 

"So...where are we going, exactly?" Kazuichi asks, adjusting his cap as he turns to Chiaki. 

"I was thinking we could go to an arcade," Chiaki answers with a smile. "There's one nearby. It has a snack food bar as well. I go there a lot. It has some good games. I know you'll like some of the car games there."

"Hmm...I guess I don't mind that." Kazuichi crosses his arms and glances over at you and Nagito. "I doubt anything too dangerous will happen to me even with him with us." 

"We should go now. The arcade is a twenty-minute walk from here if we walk fast." Chiaki turns to lead them away. You and Nagito happily begin to follow, though Kazuichi seems absolutely aghast by how long it will take for the four of you to get to the arcade. 

"Woah, twenty minutes?" The boy's pink eyes are wide. "Wow, you must really like the place if you're willing to walk that far. Eh, whatever. I guess there's not much I can do about it. Nothing wrong with getting a workout..."

The four of you head off to the arcade. Nothing too dangerous happens on your way there, though a dog did end up peeing on Kazuichi's leg while you were waiting at one of the traffic lights. He cursed under his breath and stomped his foot around a bit and you admittedly couldn't help but giggle, which made him rather indignant.

When you arrive at the arcade, Chiaki walks inside, leaving the rest of you to follow her. She makes a beeline to the front desk and buys some coins for the arcade machines. She has a friendly chat with the person working behind the desk, making it immediately apparent that she's a regular at the place. You, Nagito, and Kazuichi hover a few steps behind her.

Then Chiaki returns to you three with a smile and gives you each an equal handful of coins. "I'm gonna go play Princess Quest at the back over there." She points to one of the arcade machines toward the back of the building. "You guys should look for games you think you'd like. I know you'll find something. There are a lot of multiplayer games, racing games, and all sorts of games to play, really."