Chapter 14

As days go by, you continue to see Nagito each morning and evening as usual. This gives you a sense of relief. Even though he has been attending his classes each day, he still makes sure he arrives right on time before and after school. This makes you feel a bit better, though the blunt comments he made about you for not being an ultimate still cut deep into your chest. It makes it impossible for you to confess that you have feelings for him. Whenever you look at him, you try your best to fight back said feelings. You just don't want to have your heart broken. You don't understand why love has to be so difficult and wish your crush on him would just fade into obscurity. 

Now, you are sitting with him at the park. Seated on the bench beside your best friend, you feel lucky that you have gotten to know him. Even though he says his bad luck causes harm to the people in his life, you genuinely feel like you're lucky for ever getting to meet him on that fateful day. Despite this, you do feel like his bad luck has hit you due to your feelings for him. 

Today, Nagito seems distant. Not in a bad way or anything. He seems to be cheerfully stuck in his own little world. You haven't been talkative lately and you're sure that he knows something is up with you, though he hasn't pried for details, which you are immensely grateful for. 

Finally, he breaks the silence. "You know, (y/n), I think it's time I let you meet all my classmates. You met most of them but there are still a few I should introduce you to. My new class rep, Chiaki Nanami, is one of them."

"New class rep?" Now you're really curious as to what has been going on in his mind.

He nods. "Yeah. Chiaki was chosen as our class rep by Ms. Yukizome. She's the Ultimate Gamer I was telling you about."

He has talked about all his classmates multiple times. It's clear he is fond of each and every one of them. Chiaki sounds like she's a nice girl. She sounds like she is slightly shy, which reminds you of yourself. You have to admit you're jealous of this girl. You're jealous of everyone in the class, really. They all get to be with Nagito all day every day while you only get stolen moments with him each morning and evening before and after a gruelling day of school. You wish you could have your best friend at your side during those painful, tiresome hours. He's honestly the best person to have at your side when you aren't feeling well, thanks to his thoughtfulness and consideration for you. 

"Anyway, I think you deserve to meet them all. Maybe get to know them a little." Nagito still appears to be lost in thought. "I was thinking about when I first brought you to Hope's Peak Academy. I still feel bad for thinking for a moment not to bring you there. Even though you're not an ultimate yourself, I feel like you deserve to be there more than I do."

"You do?" You're taken aback by his words. You decide not to remind him of the cutting comment he made that has been bothering you for the last few days. You refuse to let him know that his comment hurt your feelings, deciding that maybe you're just overthinking things. Still, what he's saying now seems to make the weight lift off your chest, if only by a little. "I mean, you feel like I deserve that?"

"Of course!" Nagito sharply flicks his gaze over to look at you. "Well, as much as a non-talented person can deserve to, at least. Definitely more than me. I'm nothing but pure, worthless trash. There is not one thing about me aside from my luck that is at all worthy of attention. But you, (y/n), are much kinder than the average person."

"You're kind too!" You blurt out before he can continue on.

He ignores your outburst, instead continuing on with his ramble. "Even though you're nothing special as far as talent goes, you're still as worthy as you can be. For some reason, I care a lot about you. More than I ever expected to about someone from the talentless masses. Even if it may sound biased, I truly believe you're worthy of getting to know my classmates, at least more than I myself am. While I'm someone with a mindset they will never warm up to, you have a kindness about you that I'm sure none of them will be able to ignore." He pauses, then laughs to himself. "Well, maybe Fuyuhiko will act a bit cold to you, but that's just him. Only one person seems to be able to be on his good side. Hiyoko might be a bit...well, harsh...but that's just her. She warmed up to some of the others over time and I'm sure she'll become nicer to you as time goes by. She can be very loyal to the few people she cares about."

As Nagito talks about his friends, you feel a mixture of joy and jealousy. You still wish you could compare to the ultimates in his eyes. However, you're glad to see he hasn't totally abandoned you for his classmates even though you do not have the same title they do. Even though he's clearly growing fonder of them with each passing day, he still keeps you close to his side as his best friend. But you still can't deny to yourself that you want to be more than friends...

"Why don't you come with me to Hope's Peak again tomorrow afternoon?" Nagito suggests. "I'm sure Chiaki will be fine with organizing the class to stay behind a bit later."

You smile and nod, telling him that you're more than happy with that. The two of you then get up and leave the park together as Nagito decides it's time to walk you home.