Chapter Seventy - Eight - Push and Pull

(( Notes: Thank you so much for all the love and understanding. Been feeling better recently so here's a chapter for you all as a thank you for being so kind :3 )) 

They were heading home when Rosita pulled up on her quad-bike, bearing bad news.

The bridge had collapsed.

"Two other herds merged into "Silvia," so now it's even bigger. One of them came through here, and the backend took down the bridge. Took the walkie repeater with it." Rosita said as they stared at the bridge with its middle missing.

"What about Route A? Is that clear yet?" Daryl asked.

She shook her head, "It's still too close to the herd."

"We can get to Alexandria from this side, stay there till it passes." Rick suggested, "Route A has taken days to clear before."

"We can take Route D. Check in with Maggie on the way." Said Hedley.

Daryl looked proudly at his boy before raising his brow at Rick, who smirked.

Daryl shrugged at the suggestion, "It's early enough in the day."

Rick nodded, "Fine. Keep an eye on the trade road in case anyone else tries to move through. We can go to the Sanctuary or Hilltop, - stay the night, and head off from there."

Rosita took a spray can to write 'Bridge Out' on the street sign and like that, they were back on the road.

****

Hedley - along with Anne and her group - decided to go to Hilltop while Daryl, Michonne, Rick, Ezekiel and Carol went to the Sanctuary.

When Hedley got to Hilltop, it was dark out and everyone was settling in for the night. He went out to look for Maggie, hoping she was out of her nightly stroll through the gardens.

He found her quickly but what shocked him was that she wasn't alone. Gregory was in front of her and they were talking.

She was stroking her large belly bump.

"I know this hasn't been easy for you." She said.

"You won the election fair and square, Maggie. But I'll get this place back." He said, reaching into his pocket.

"You still want to lead this place?"

"This place? I built this place! None of this would exist if it wasn't for me." He stepped towards her, she stepped back when she saw the knife gleaming in his hand, "You're just Rick's lackey."

Maggie snarled, "Rick ended the war. That's more than you ever did."

"And he's your friend and your mentor." Gregory mocked, "You know what's funny, is you can't go back to Alexandria because you-know-who is still there."

"Do you even give a crap about all of the stupid shit that you have done? After all the chances that you've been given?"

"No. Because I'm still here." She was backed up against a shed wall, his knife inches from her engorged belly.

"They'll all know that you did this." She spoke.

"You blamed me. You attacked me." He lifted his knife, "And I defended myself."

Hedley tackled him to the ground with a cry of rage. Gregory kicked him off, swiping his knife towards the boy. Maggie grabbed Gregory's hand, took the knife quickly then held it to Gregory's throat. He panted and every swallow made his Adam's apple graze the blade.

Some of Hilltop's people came over, hearing the commotion. After explaining, the men took Gregory and took him to the prisoner's pen.

Hedley got up and went to Maggie. She was leaning against the shed wall, hand on her chest as she breathed in deeply.

"Are you okay?"

She nodded, "I'm fine. Just-"

At that moment, water pooled at her feet. Hedley watched it sink into the mud below.

"Shit." He whispered, flashbacks to Lori.

"Shit." She echoed, looking at Hedley in a panic, "My water just broke."

****

Maggie paced her room, moaning in pain. Siddiq and Hedley just watched as she proceeded to hit he wall with her fist, hard and threatening.

"Ow! Ow! Fuck!" She yelled.

"Contractions are four minutes apart." Siddiq said, "Everything is going along just fine, Maggie."

"Shut up!" She exclaimed, body convulsing in another contraction. When it passed, she began to cry, "I'm sorry for yelling. I didn't mean-"

"It's okay." Siddiq calmed her, "Just go through it. You've got this."

Hedley gave her a thumbs up, not really sure why she wanted him to stay. He had no clue what to do.

And it went like that for hours.

Maggie yelling, groaning and yelping all while Siddiq and Hedley held her hands and gave her ice to chew.

It was early hours when she began to push. Siddiq and a few helpers were there all as Hedley held Maggie's hand and giving her his best support.

She started to cry when the end neared.

"You're okay, Maggie. You're doing great." He tried to encourage.

She kept crying, "I want Glenn." She whimpered in pain, "He- He should be h-here! I want Glenn."

"I know." Hedley whispered, "He's here. I know you can't see him but I promise you he's here, cheering you on. He's here, Maggie."

She sniffled, looking into Hedley's eyes, sweat covering her skin.

"One more big push, Maggie." Siddiq said, gathering a cloth.

She was exhausted. Her eyes dazed as every muscle in her body begged for rest. But she did it. She pushed with all her might and soon the cries of a newborn echoed the room.

A baby boy. With dark hair and thin eyes.

And as he was placed on his mother's chest, Maggie cried once more but this time it was of amazement and relief rather than grief.

Hedley was right. Glenn was there. And now that baby Hershel was in the world, a part of him will always be there no matter what.