Five

Word count: 1652

-------

[ASHTON'S POV]

I wonder what Luke's thinking right now. I told him I'd see him today during lunch and the rest of the day but I never made it to lunch, or the cafeteria during my spare. I feel bad for abandoning him but he's just a classmate or friend - if I can even call him that so he'll be fine.

But there were some more important things I had to do.

My parents aren't home and won't be for a while so my number is at my brother and sister's school for contact information. So, when I got a call from their school, it sent terror through my body and mind. All the possibilities of things that could happen rushing through my head. All the bad things, what if one of them got hurt, got into a fight, passed out, stomach flu, migraine, sick. I picked up the call, while still in class, with the worst possibilities in mind. My earbuds are connected so it's fine, the mic is sensitive.

Me: "Hello?"

School: "Hello, is this Ashton Irwin?"

Me: "Yes, that's me."

School: "Lauren is feeling unwell and said she has a headache. She was wondering if it's possible for you to pick her up."

Me: "Uh, yep, I think I'll be able to be there in around 20 minutes max. May I talk to Lauren for a second?"

School: "Yes, of course. Lauren, can you come talk to your brother?"

Lauren: "Hi Ash"

She sounded slightly sick and tired and was talking in a bit of a sadder voice than usual.

Me: "How badly are you sick? I'll come pick you up no matter what, I just want to know."

Lauren: "Don't know. Sick."

Me: "You'll be okay, I'm going to leave my school soon. Can you just pass the phone back to the lady at the front desk?"

Lauren: "Okay. See you."

Me: "See you soon, Laurey."

School: "Yes Mr. Irwin?"

Me: "Ashton is fine. I was wondering what class Harry has right now and if you could give his teacher a call to let him know that I'm picking Lauren up and I can pick him up too."

School: "I don't know what he has right now but I'll check and give his teacher a call to let him know."

Me: "Okay, perfect, thanks. I'll be there in a bit."

School: "Okay, bye."

Me: "Bye."

I'm in second period right now and there's like more than 30 minutes of class left so I better leave now. There's no way I'm making Lauren wait for me more than she has too. I raised my hand and waited for the teacher to call on me.

Teacher: "Yes, Ashton?"

Me: "I need to leave early so I'm just letting you know I'm leaving."

Teacher: "Oh? So this just isn't fun enough for you, is it, Mr. Irwin?"

Me: "Um, no. There's some family stuff happening right now.

Teacher: "You can't wait?"

Me: "No, it  can't wait."

Teacher: "Okay, fine then. Sign out in the office, you're dismissed."

Me: "Thank you."

I really dislike my math teacher, Ms. Lantle and it's only been less than 2 classes with her. Just let me leave, okay? I'm old enough to do what I need and know what I really need to leave.