The Enemy of Trust

Y/n's POV

"Give up. We've got you outnumbered." Jaune said. Oscar took out his cane and I wiped blood from my face. "Alright then." Nora said. Ren and Nora attacked but were blocked by the girl's umbrella. Nora went in with her hammer but was thrown over. Oscar and I ran in. We were both mad. I came in for a swing but she flipped over it and threw me against the wall. Oscar was thrown into the air and the lamp was hanging in midair. I dashed in and hooked it on Divine Light. The girl came in for a swing at me but Jaune stood in front of me and sent her back. I gave Oscar the lamp and he hooked it on his belt. Zeke came in from behind and took the girl in a chokehold with his sword. Ren went in and the girl shattered like glass. Zeke narrowly dodged Ren as he came flying by. "What the-" Zeke started to ask. "Where did she go?" Nora asked. Jaune peaked around the corner. "Freeze!" a voice came from down a different hall. "We gotta move!" Jaune said. We all started to run. Oscar and I were out of breath. I hooked Divine Light on my belt and followed. "Hurry! We gotta lose them!" Zeke called over his shoulder. They ran ahead of us and then turned around. Oscar and I turned around as well, but we were falling behind. We turned down a hall but we didn't see anyone. "Guys?" Oscar asked. I was trying to hear if anyone responded. "They went this way!" a guard called from down the hall. I felt a gloved hand over my mouth and it dragged me into a small area. It was Zeke. I breathed a sigh of relief and turned around. I ducked under a stab from the girl who was posing as Zeke. She had the lamp. My eyes widened in fear. The girl swung at me again and I was thrown against the wall. She ran off. "No!" I called out. Oscar came and helped me get up. I was too disoriented to know which way the girl went. Luckly we were able to find everyone else and get to a hiding spot. "I'm sorry." I said. "Don't be." Zeke said. "We weren't ready to become Huntsmen." Ren said. "That's not true." Nora said. "Then why aren't we holding the relic?" Ren asked. Oscar and I both looked down at the floor. "Now Cinder has the lamp, Ironwood has the staff, and we have nothing!" Ren yelled. "Ren! That's enough." Jaune said. "Hello? Anybody there? Can you hear me?" Pietro's voice came through my scroll. "Our scrolls? Doctor!" Zeke said as he pulled out his scroll. "Haha! Finest mind in Atlas!" Maria yelled. "Maria! What're you doing?" Nora asked. "Grabbing our getaway ship. We need to hightail it out of here. Where are you?" Maria asked. "The academy training room. We slipped away from soldiers but it won't be long before-Ah!" Zeke said. Oscar and I had ran off earlier. "Oscar? Y/n?" Jaune asked. "I'm sorry but you need to go on without us." I said. "What're you talking about?" Zeke yelled. "There's something we have to do alone." Oscar said. We ran through the halls. We went down to where the staff was. "Winter. Thank you. I know that must have been difficult. I'm so sorry." Ironwood said as he turned around. I had Divine Light out. Oscar and I were both staring down at Ironwood as we came down to ground level. We stepped off the lift and walked toward Ironwood. "And whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with?" Ironwood asked. "Still just us." I said. "It was smart of you not to bring the lamp down here. I wouldn't trust me either." Ironwood said. "Trust is what we're hoping to fix. I know we can still figure this out. All of it. Together. Please." I said. "Do you intend to fight me?" Ironwood asked. "No. That's exactly what she wants. I guess it's because of Oz, but, holding it helps calm me down when I'm afraid." Oscar said. He put his cane on his back and I turned Divine Light back into my knifes and put them on my belt. "You still think I'm afraid." Ironwood said. "We all are. It's what we do in our fear that reveals-" I got cut off. "That's easy for you to say! You can label me whatever you like, but the fact of the mater is I was right! The minute I softened, let my guard down, that's when Cinder had her opening." Ironwood said. "If you abandon Mantle, you abandon our best chance of reuniting the world. You abandon Remnant, leaving millions to fend for themselves so a few can survive! What kind of-" Oscar got cut off. "All excellent, philosophical points that won't matter if Cinder wins." Ironwood said. "Listen to us!" I yelled. "No you listen! I am done letting others in ability to see the big picture, get in the way of doing what's right! Robin, the council, this kingdom! Even you." Ironwood said. "Then you're as dangerous as she is, James." Oscar said. "James is what my friends call me. To you, it's General." Ironwood said as he pulled out his gun. He fired twice, once at me and once at Oscar. Both of our auras faded as we fell of the edge. My knifes were knocked loose from my belt and Oscar's cane flew off. I almost passed out before I heard a voice I hadn't heard in a long time. "Y/n." Salem said. I was suddenly snapped back to reality. I looked over at my knifes and reached to grab them. I was able to grab them and I turned them into Divine Light. Oscar grabbed my hand and held down the lever on his cane. I started to summon some sort of energy into Divine Light. It swirled from my hand and into the blades. Oscar and I both gave a wordless yell and plunged toward the ground. Everything went black. "The single quality that is common across ever living creature on this planet is fear." Salem said. Oscar and I were both falling through the sky. I opened my eyes. "It's funny that as common as fear is, we so easily underestimate its power. Fear of growing close to someone. The subsequent fear of loss. Fear of failure." Ozpin said. "And as more people depend on you, those fears can take on greater power." Salem said. "But the fear itself isn't worthy of concern." Ozpin said. I put Divine Light on my belt and closed my eyes. "It is who we become while in its clutches." Salem said. I opened my eyes again. "Will you be proud of that person? Will you forgive them? Will you understand why they felt the need to do the things they did? Will you even recognize them or will the person staring back at you be the very thing you should fear from the start? I suppose we all find out, sooner or later." Ozpin said. Oscar and I gave another wordless yell and summoned a magic orb that protected us. I stood up. "That power, these memories. You're back, aren't you?" I asked. "You saved us." Oscar said. "Actually, you saved us." Ozpin said. I was taken aback. I could hear Ozpin now. "Oscar, Y/n. We-" I cut Salem off. "Stop. All I want to know is how we save Atlas next." I said. Oscar and I looked up at the clouds of red thunder that were rapidly approaching. What looked to be like a huge Grimm came out of the clouds. "I'm guessing you're not going to be able to send that one back to where it came from?" Oscar asked me. "Nope. Way to big and it's different somehow." I said.