Hide and Seek

POV Nini

It has been a while since Miss Jenn and Mister Mazzara got married. The party after the wedding was the best. All the family left but us theater kids stayed. We forced the brand new husband to watch Encanto.

He said he hated the movie but he barely watched it because he was too busy with Miss Jenn's face the whole time.

After the movie, Miss Jenn and Mister Mazzara left. We went to Big Red's house and had a sleepover. Gina told us everything about what happened at her new school. She told us about her new friends and that they are so different from us.

We didn't sleep that night, except for Ricky who fell asleep once he touched the couch. Him sleeping is very cute. Just the peace and quietness.

The musical is so close now. Tomorrow evening the show will finally start. Everyone knows their lines, or at least almost all of their lines.

Miss Jenn told us to meet outside the school for our lesson today. I've been standing here for quite some time now, but I knew that when I left. I was very, very early. I get a message.

RoyalKing: Hi! How are you?

Nini: I'm great, excited for the musical tomorrow!

RoyalKing: Oh yes! I can't wait to see you in the musical!

He is gonna come? Do I want him to come? What if I mess up?

Nini: You're gonna come to my musical?

RoyalKing: I'm definitely gonna see you shine! Don't want to miss that!

It's sweet but I also start to panic. Will I see him for the first time? Although I probably won't see him because the audience is quite big. Wait. Is the audience big? Maybe nobody's gonna come and watch.

Ricky walks towards me, his gaze turned on his phone and he's smiling brightly. Shit. I just realized.

Does he have a new girlfriend?

He has been texting and smiling a lot lately. It's not that I'm jealous or something. Or well, yeah, maybe a bit jealous. But that isn't bad right.

Kourtney walks toward me and Ricky. "Kourt!" I whisper. "Do you think Ricky has a girlfriend, he has been texting and smiling a lot all week long now?" Kourtney laughs and I give her a soft touch.

"Girl, have you seen yourself this week?" she states. "You are the one who is taped to her phone, texting, smiling, not giving her bestie any attention all week, no all month, long," she says.

Oh crap. She's right.

"Sorry," I say. "It's fine, honestly," Kourtney laughs. Ashlyn and Gina walk towards us. Gina has been staying at Ashlyn's since she came back to Salt Lake City.

A bit later, Carlos and Seb walk towards us and Kourtney immediately gives Seb a tight hug. She does that every day because she's scared she'll lose him again.

Miss Jenn and Big Red walk towards us. "Okay, peeps, come stand in a circle around me," Miss Jenn says.

Peeps? Miss Jenn trying something new? It's hilarious.

We form a circle around Miss Jenn. "Okay, don't pass out," Miss Jenn states and she stares at me. Everyone laughs, reminded of the panic attack I had last summer. "We're gonna go to our new theater."

New?! OMG! We get a new theater? I can't wait to see it. We follow Miss Jenn to a beautiful big building. It's not that far away from the school. I've seen the building before but I've never been inside.

Miss Jenn leads us into the building. Wow. Just wow. It looks like we're in a movie. "Everyone can take a look around first, but I'll need some people helping me in a while with building the decor and stuff," Miss Jenn states.

"Guys, I know," Big Red starts. "We're gonna do Hide and Seek and when you're found, you have to help Miss Jenn."

"Yes!" Ricky says and everyone nods excitedly in agreement. "I'm gonna count to 100 so make sure you're hidden by then," Big Red says. "1... 2... 3..."

I run away into a hallway. Behind me are Ricky, Seb, and Carlos running in the same direction. Seb and Carlos turn into another hallway a bit later.

Ricky and I keep running further and further until we see the stage for the first time. I swear, it's as big as the Pacific Ocean. Well, almost as big. I wonder how many people can sit in the audience. A lot.

The curtains are bright red and huge. A gold rope keeps the curtains together. The stage is beautiful black and shiny. I can't wait to stand there tomorrow.

I look next to Ricky, who is also amazed by the sight. "100! I'm coming!" We hear Big Red shouting. Ricky and I quickly dive behind the last row. There is a very small space there. I don't think anyone else will fit in here but Ricky and I fit.

And there we are. Waiting to get found. I look at Ricky. His face is very close to mine. He can't help it, his head is already against the wall. I smile and he smiles back.

His smile is awesome, it gives me a happy feeling, just seeing his smile. Kind of like when you're coming into your bedroom and your mom has made your bed. And you can sleep in a freshly-made bed.

Or like eating bread that is just baked. That you feel the warmth in your stomach. Or when your favorite song plays on the radio.

He just makes me happy. Smile. Eh. I mean his smile makes me happy.

I look into his eyes. They're also pretty. Like dark chocolate.

I miss him. I miss him being my boyfriend. I miss the time we got to spend together. I miss him being there every second of my day to make me feel awesome.

I squeeze a bit closer to him. "Otherwise Red can see me," I whisper. Great excuse, probably something he'll believe.

I rest my head on his shoulder and close my eyes. When I open my eyes again, Ricky has put his arm around me. I look at his arm and then look at him.

"To make sure Red doesn't see you," he whispers. I smile. Great excuse. I stare into his eyes and he stares into mine.

What's happening? Is this supposed to happen? I mean, I want it to happen. Does he want this to happen? Maybe he doesn't have a girlfriend after all.

I lean in a little closer and he does the same.

"Found you!"

Big Red stands next to us. Gone moment.

I get up and Ricky does the same. When I look at Ricky, I can see him making an angry face to Big Red for a second.

Hi guys!

I hope you're all doing great!! I think I liked this chapter. Only 5 more to go!

Love you all!!

Love, Anna <3