6.

Sitting in the passenger seat of a car while your mom drives is a fairly normal thing. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing eerie or unsettling about it.

However, when the sound of sobs echo from the backseat due to an unexpected death, you can't help but shiver.

Thalia, Jeanette, and Elena sat in the back as they drove to the hospital. The rest of the family were driving in separate cars behind them, their feelings unknown to Y/N, but she didn't doubt that they were probably devastated.

This was awful news to the entire family, but there was no denying that it was taking a serious toll on the Perry sisters. Their father had just died, after all. And, their mother had been seriously injured, according to the police officers on the phone.

Despite it being a blur, Y/N could still vividly remember how Thalia had broken the news to the family. She remembered every reaction, every cry, every scream in detail.

***

"It's mom and dad,"

Elena and Jeanette quickly hurried over to their sister. Elena spoke first. "What? What happened?"

"Are they all right?" Jeanette asked. But, she knew they weren't, just by how her older sister looked at her.

Thalia wearily shook her head as she gazed at her younger sisters. "They got in a car accident."

Gasps of concern and fear fell from the family's mouths. Tiana was the first to speak after a prolonged silence. "Are the injuries serious?"

This is when Thalia fell into Tiana's arms and sobbed. "Dad's dead."

...

...

...

"Wh-What?"

"Dead?"

"What about Mom?"

"Uncle JB?"

"Where are they now?"

"We have to go to the hospital."

"Thalia!"

"Thalia! Look at me!"

"Answer me!"

"IS MOM HURT?"

Questions and statements and confused mumbles from the young ones bounced off the walls of Y/N's living room. All coming back to her in jumbles and pounding headaches.

Y/N stood silently at the door, shock being the only expression she could produce. She didn't cry, she didn't scream, like the others. She just stood frozen in shock.

***

She couldn't cry then. Why? She didn't know. How do you not cry at the passing of a loved one? How do you just stand and stare, as your family weeps in despair?

Everyone responds to grief differently.

But, did Y/N feel grief? Was that the emotion she was feeling?

Of course, it was. It had to be.

If it wasn't, why did she feel the need to cry now? Why was her lip quivering? Why were her eyes watering? Why now?

Maybe, she felt overwhelmed. Or, maybe she felt as though there was no room for her to cry. Everyone one else had already taken the initiative to sob, so there was no open space for someone who wanted to wail. Such as, Y/N.