26.

(Hey, guys! I just wanted to say thank you for 20K reads! Love y'all! Anyways, on to the chapter)

December 5th

Hearing the oven Beep! Y/N made her way back into the kitchen. Tiana and Henry were still sleeping, her siblings and their spouses had all decided to take their children to the local museum - much to Ezekiel's distaste - which left Y/N alone. So, she took the opportunity to do something that she had been wanting to do for the past few days.

Opening the oven, she used her oven mitt to take out the hot tray without burning herself. She placed it onto her stove before fanning it off with the previously mentioned oven mitt. She took a deep breath, relishing in the satisfying saccharine aroma of the sweet treat she had baked.

"Fancy seeing you here,"

Y/N jumped, turning to face the voice before sighing and giving the woman in front of her an annoyed look. "Mary!" She playfully hit her with the oven mitt. "You scared me!"

Mary chuckled. "My apologies, dearest," Heat rose in Y/N's cheeks. "I just wanted to see what you're up too."

Y/N smiled sheepishly. "Well, actually...I, um-" Y/N scratched the back of her neck before turning to the side, revealing the dessert she had made and blurting out, "I made you cookies!" Mary paused, her eyes glued to the tray of chocolate chip cookies. She didn't know what to say. "I...I remembered what you said. About your life back on the farm. Y'know, how cookies were the only treat you could make often?"

"You remembered that?" Mary asked.

"Of course," Y/N nodded. "It was important to you," Smiling gently, she placed a hand on Mary's upper arm. "You opened up to me, the least I could do was listen." She looked at the cookies. "I hope you like them and I hope I made them up to your standards. I can make more, if you want." Y/N chuckled. "Am I rambling? Sorry. I just...I really wanted to do something nice for you because you've been so nice to me. And-"

"Y/N, I love them." Mary stated. Y/N let out a sigh of relief. "But, you really didn't have too."

"I wanted too," Y/N said. "Now, what do you say, we go enjoy these cookies in the privacy of my room?" Y/N suggested. "If Ezekiel gets back and there are cookies on the counter, they'll be gone before you can even blink."

"I don't blame him," Mary said as she picked up the tray and followed Y/N down the hall, into her bedroom.

"By the way, don't let Pawsley eat any of those cookies," Y/N spoke up after Mary had placed the tray onto her bed. "Chocolate makes his stomach hurt."

Once Mary had sat down on the bed, Pawsley jumped straight into her lap, purring and meowing at her. Y/N laughed. "It seems like my cat likes you more than me," She frowned playfully. "No fair."

"That's not true," Mary assured. "He's just excited to meet a new person."

"Pawsley? Excited about meeting people?" She scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Never. He's the most antisocial cat I've ever met."

"Well, I'm honored that he likes me," Mary informed.

Y/N picked up a cookie and handed it to Mary before grabbing one of her own. "Pawsley missed you, yesterday morning." she said before taking a bite.

"He did?"

"Mhm," Y/N hummed as she finished chewing the part of the cookie she had bitten off. "He was sitting in your spot, rolling around, meowing, and everything." Your spot. Mary had a spot now. A designated area on Y/N's bed. She couldn't help but blush. "Then, he started giving me attitude! Like it was my fault." She looked down at Pawsley. "Cause he's a drama queen." Pawsley meowed. "You heard me."