Morning with Dad

Apollo's POV

Apollo's POV

It's been roughly four months since my brother and I were presented to the pride. We've had two new members join the pride recently. A rogue lioness called Tyra and her daughter Nikki. Who is now five months old. Dad allowed them to stay. Though Nikki drives me crazy. Anyway today dad is going to show Simba and I the pride lands. Simba is attempting to wake him up now as I watch the horizon. Waiting for the sun to raise, I love watching it.

I hear someone attempting to sneak up behind me and roll my eyes. I duck and Nikki flies over my head. "You are terrible at being silent" I tell her as I sit up.

"Am not" she protests.

"You have never once succeed in sneaking up on me" I remind.

"That's because you have better hearing then anyone else in the pride" she states.

"Please, you couldn't catch a mouse" I state.

"Could so" she protests flattening her ears.

"Now Nikki, I hope you are playing nicely with the prince" Tyra says as she joins us.

"Of course mum" Nikki says with a smile.

"Come along" Tyra tells her. "Have a good young prince" she tells me.

"I'll get you one day Apollo" Nikki tells me. Before following her mum as she leaves pride rock. I look back to see mum and dad appear with Simba.

"Mum, dad!" I cheer and run over. I rub around both their legs purring happily. Mum licks my head fondly. As Simba follows dad.

"Go on and have fun" mum tells me.

"I'll see you later for my bath" I tell her. Unlike my brother, I love my bathes. She smiles and nudges me. I run after Simba and dad. "Have a good sleep dad?" I ask.

"Yes I did, before your brother woke your mother and I" he states.

"You promised" Simba reminds him and he chuckles. Dad starts to lead us to the top of pride rock.

"Dad, mum says we're not allowed up here" I remind him.

"You are with me or an adult" he assures me. We sit down and watch as the sun rises over the pride lands. Wow, the view is even better from up here. I have to come up here more often. "Look Apollo, Simba. Everything the light touches is our kingdom" he tells us.

"Wow" Simba says in awe.

"Everything?" I ask dad.

"Everything" he says nodding his head. "A king's time as ruler rises and falls like the sun. One day, Simba, the sun will set on my time here and will rise with you as the new king" he declares.

"Thank the great kings, I'd hate being king" I state. All that responsibility does not interest me. Besides I'll happily protect the pride lands from outsiders and hyenas. Following Simba's lead. As well as give him advice when he needs it.

"And this'll all be mine?" Simba asks Dad.

"Everything" dad repeats. Simba strides along the edge of Pride Rock, overlooking the Pride Lands. While I stay beside dad.

"Everything the light touches" Simba says. He sits down looking at a shadowy place on the horizon. "What about that shadowy place?" he asks dad.

"That's beyond our borders. You must never go there, Simba. You to Apollo" dad tells us sternly.

"But I thought a king can do whatever he wants" Simba says confused.

"Same, take any territory he wants" I add as I join them. Dad just smiles at us as he starts to walk away.

"Oh, there's more to being king than getting your way all the time" dad tells us. "While others search for what they can take, a true king searches for what he can give" he states. As we follow him down pride rock.

"There's more?" Simba asks. Dad chuckles. He leads us to the plains. Where we see antelope leaping through the grass.

"Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures, from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope" dad explains to us.

"But, Dad, don't we eat the antelope?" we ask him confused.

"Yes Simba, Apollo. But let me explain" dad tells us. "When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Life" he explains. As we over look the plains. I spot the river along with giraffes browsing on trees.

"So that's why we have to follow the hunting rules mum teaches?" I ask him. He nods his head. Just then Zazu appears.

"Good morning, sire!" he says as he lands in front of us.

"Good morning, Zazu" dad says with a smile.

"Checking in with the morning report" Zazu declares.

"Fire away" dad tells him. I roll my eyes. Typical, we are supposed to spend the morning together and the second a king duty appears. He ignores us. I notice Simba trying to catch a grasshopper. He misses on the first pounce and I chuckle.

"Let me show you how it's done" I tell him lowly as I crouch. As we both ignore Zazu and dad. I focus on the grasshopper and stalk forward silently as mum has taught me. The grasshopper has settled on a rock. I pounce at it.

"What are you doing sons?" dad asks us.

"Pouncing" Simba answers as I lift my paws to see no grasshopper and curse. "See you couldn't catch it either" Simba tells me.

"I got closer then you" I state. Dad crouches beside us.

"Let an old pro show you how it's done" he tells us with a smile. We smile back and crouch either side of him. As Zazu continues his report not noticing us. "Stay low to the ground" he instructs lowering Simba's rump. "Check the wind and shadows" he tells me. I curse, that's how I failed catching the grasshopper.

Simba and I advance stealthy towards Zazu. Who still hasn't noticed us. "Wait for the perfect moment to pounce" dad tells us lowly as he disappears into the tall grass.

"The cheetahs stole the baboons' dinner, and now, the baboons are going ape. Of course, as I say, cheetahs never prosper" Zazu rants. As Simba and I got with in pouncing distances of him. We share a smile. "That's what I say. Do you get...? I'll say it again. Cheetahs never..." Zazu goes to say. But is cut off as Simba and I pounced on him. Knocking him to the ground as our dad laughs.

We smile proudly and stride back over to dad. "That was very good" dad praises us. "Now this time..." he says when Zazu shouts.

"Sire! Hyenas! In the Pride Lands!" he shouts. Mufasa starts to bound away, but pauses to look at Zazu. Telling him to take Simba and I home.

"Awww, Dad, can't we come?" we ask him.

"No sons" he tells us and left.

"Pah! We never get to go anywhere" Simba grumbles. As we start to head home. Zazu flying beside us.

"Oh, young master, one day, you will be king. Then you and Prince Apollo can chase those slobbering, mangy, stupid poachers from dawn until dusk" Zazu assures him. I look forward to that day.

A/N

Picture above of Apollo and in chapter of Mufasa with Simba.