03 - First Day

Present Day.

Luckily for the connections my uncle had and how influential he was, he had helped secure me a position as a personal assistant at a company in the city. It was still a bit weird that I was not called in for an interview but was accepted just like that. I was grateful for my uncle's help, but I still wished I was granted an interview to showcase what I was capable of. In as much as my extended family were well-to-do, I did not want to rely on them much as I wanted to get things done independently.

Glancing at the time on my phone, I realized I was late. Goodness gracious, Mirabelle, on the first day of work, too. I grabbed my bag and ran out of the house as fast as I could, hopping into the car my uncle had brought back from the family house so I could use it for transportation.

The car was a vintage black 1967 Mustang, a classic beauty that had been passed down through generations of our family, my father being the last. As I slid into the driver's seat, the leather upholstery felt smooth and cool against my skin. I ran my fingers over the steering wheel, feeling the grooves and contours that had been worn in over years of use. The dashboard was a mix of old and new technology - the speedometer and fuel gauge were classic analogue dials, while the stereo system had been upgraded with modern speakers and Bluetooth connectivity.

Despite its age, the car was in good condition, with a sparkling exterior and a well-maintained engine. I turned the key in the ignition, and the engine roared to life with a throaty rumble. I drove down the road with the help of the directions from my phone as I did not have the chance to visit the company earlier.

Driving down the road brought back so many nostalgic memories. I remembered the first time I got behind the wheel and how nervous I was. I had just turned sixteen, and my dad took me out to the empty parking lot of the local high school. I stalled the car a few times and struggled to coordinate the pedals and the steering wheel. But with time and patience, I eventually got the hang of it.

I couldn't help but think of all the times I had driven down this same stretch of road before. The way the trees whizzed by, the sound of the engine humming, and the way the wind rushed past my window all came flooding back to me.

But as I drove on, I noticed how much things had changed. The once-familiar landmarks now looked unfamiliar, and the roads seemed narrower than before. New buildings had sprung up along the way, and the traffic had increased significantly. It was a stark reminder that time had passed and things had moved on. Everybody had moved on. Which meant I should have moved on too, but I just could not bring myself to.

I parked the car in the designated parking lot, which was not that far from the main building. It was clear that I had arrived at the right place as I took in the big sign on the building which read 'ACESPACE'.

I got out of the car, slung my handbag over my shoulder, and locked the door of the car. I was already thirty minutes late, and forgiveness was the only thing I had hoped for from my boss. Hopefully, he liked me.

Rushing into the company, I bumped into someone who was carrying two cups of coffee in his hand and had some papers tucked under his arm.

"Shit," the person cursed as the coffee splashed all over me while his papers went flying all around, getting soaked by the spilt coffee on the floor.

"I'm so sorry," I quickly apologized and bent down to help him gather his papers. Typical Mirabelle. "I'm so sorry," I apologized again.

"It's okay, I was not looking ahead," we both stood up, and I handed him his papers back. "I'm so sorry about your shirt."

I looked down at the shirt he was pointing to. It was my favourite white shirt. Why did I wear white today? I groaned as I realized how terrible I was going to make for a first impression. "It's okay," I was not going to make the young man feel bad about it as I was partially at fault.