19 - Better Option

Mirabelle Morrison

I had woken up to calls from George asking me to open up my hotel room door because he didn't want to bang on the door like a nuisance in this luxury hotel.

I couldn't help but feel a mix of relief and gratitude as he arrived with some much-needed painkillers. The throbbing headache that had taken residence in my temples was a cruel reminder of the emotional turmoil I had been trying to drown in alcohol the night before.

He had concern etched across his face, I knew he understood the weight of my pain. We exchanged a few words, but his presence alone provided a comforting reassurance that I was not alone in this battle against heartbreak.

From the conversation I had with him, I could tell he wanted me to give up on whatever feelings I had for Terrence even though he did not utter them. I was going to let go, eventually. And tonight, after the party, I was going to tell him how happy I was for him for meeting Eloise and wishing to spend the rest of his life with her.

As I stood there, staring at my reflection in the mirror, the evidence of an eventful night slowly came into focus. My neck was adorned with a collage of passionate marks, scattered like silent declarations of a love-making session that had taken place. It was clear that I had succumbed to the intoxicating allure of the evening, but the details remained frustratingly elusive in my alcohol-clouded memory.

The hickies, deep and vivid, told a story that I couldn't quite recall. They whispered of a fiery encounter, a dance of intertwining bodies fueled by desire and the reckless abandon of the night. Yet, the details eluded me like fragments of a dream slipping through my fingers.

Was it the touch of a stranger, a chance encounter that sparked flames of passion? The last I remember was David asking if I was okay when I kept taking shots of alcohol. There was no way I could have done that with him, right?

David's concerned voice echoed in my ears, his eyes filled with worry as he witnessed my reckless indulgence in alcohol. I vaguely recalled his gentle touch on my arm, his genuine concern melting away the barriers that separated us. But what followed next remained shrouded in mystery, like a locked door refusing to reveal its secrets.

It was moments like this that I hated how I always seemed to lose my sense whenever I drank. It seemed that every time I indulged in alcohol, I paid the price by losing my sense of self. Memories always slipped through my fingers like water, leaving behind fragmented glimpses of blurred faces and distorted laughters.

As I pushed the thoughts of what could have happened to the back of my mind, a sense of determination washed over me, urging me to focus on the present moment. I continued to get ready for the ceremony dinner. The company's prestigious ceremony dinner awaited, and I had to put my best foot forward as it was my first dinner with the company as a whole.

I smoothed out the elegant fabric of my dress, a midnight-blue gown that hugged my figure in all the right places, the delicate lace embroidery adding a touch of femininity. Its intricate beading shimmered under the soft glow of the room's chandelier. Gently touching the exposed back of my dress, I appreciated how it added an alluring yet tasteful touch to my ensemble. As I slipped into my silver heels, I felt a surge of confidence wash over me

As I stood in front of the full-length mirror, I meticulously styled my hair into an elegant updo, pulling a few loose tendrils to frame my face delicately. My reflection beamed back at me, a reflection of a woman ready to conquer the world, even if doubts occasionally crept in. With my reflection finally meeting my satisfaction, I moved on to my makeup.

Sitting at the vanity table, I carefully applied my makeup, opting for a classic, sophisticated look. I highlighted my eyes with a touch of smoky eyeshadow, adding a hint of sparkle to match the dress. A sweep of rosy blush and a touch of nude lipstick completed the look, accentuating my features without overpowering them.