11 - Double Date

Mirabelle Morrison

When we arrived at the restaurant, I felt a rush of butterflies in my stomach. As much as I wanted to put my entire focus on the dinner, a little part of me hoped I wouldn't bump into any unwanted persons. I did not want David to see me as a different kind of person once he started to hear about my past.

As we sat down and started talking, I found myself feeling more and more comfortable, laughing and enjoying the conversation. David was a funny guy. He knew the right things to say to make me laugh; he was almost too perfect.

The conversation was almost too perfect.

Everything felt like it was going too perfectly.

In the back of my mind, I was waiting for the time when there would be a variable that would interrupt this perfect night. I was ashamed of myself for thinking that because David had put in so much effort for this night to not go wrong, and here I was, thinking negatively.

We had yet to order our food because we had gotten caught up in our conversation. The last thing that was brought to our table was a bowl of corn soup as an appetizer that David had ordered for both of us. I did not want to let him down by saying I didn't like corn because he had on a smile when he ordered it.

In the middle of our conversation, now and then, my tummy would rumble as if trying to signal my hunger. I glanced down at my phone and realized it was almost nine. The last time I had a proper meal was by two in the afternoon.

"David?" He stopped talking as soon as I called out his name. "I'm so sorry for interrupting," I put on a small smile. "Can we make our order now?"

"Oh, my bad," he quickly apologized and signalled for the waiter to come to get our order. "I did not realize we had not yet ordered our meal. I must have gotten lost in our conversation."

"Me too," I forced out a laugh to hide the rumble that my stomach made again.

Once the waiter came over, she handed us the menu, but David kindly rejected it. "I already booked the Marine Medley Pasta when I made a reservation for two."

Oh.

I should speak up about it, but I didn't. Maybe that was what I needed. All these years, I had always taken charge of my things and did not let people take charge of them for me. A change was probably what I needed to start letting go of the past I'd held onto too dearly to my chest.

It felt weird that he had made all these bookings without asking for my preference. But then again, I probably would have stuck with a menu that was the closest to a safe option.

"I'd double-check that, sir." The waitress took back the menu before leaving our table.

"I hope you're okay with the food option. It's seafood pasta." He asked as he adjusted the collar of his shirt.

I want to say no so badly. "Yes, it's perfect." Lie.

"That's great, I rarely meet people who also like seafood as much as I do." He stated.

I bite my tongue back from asking him how many times he's booked this special seafood pasta and who he's brought to this restaurant.

"Really?"

"Yes. It's either they're allergic to it, or they don't like the texture." He explained, and I nodded my head before drifting my gaze to behind his head. "I have always liked anything seafood..."

Zoning out of the conversation, my eyes fix on the restaurant door that was opened to let a couple walk in. The aura that came in with them seemed very intense as I realized some of the guests in the restaurant had also turned to look at who just walked in.