47 - Meeting

Terrence Toussaint

The clock on my office wall showed that it was already late in the evening. The sun had dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the city. It was time for me to head to Eloise's family home for the meeting I had requested. The weight of my decision to break off the engagement rested heavily on my shoulders.

The scent of Mirabelle lingered in the air, a reminder of the hard sex we had just hours ago. Despite the seriousness of the meeting ahead, the memory of the curves of her body brought a small smile to my lips. Shaking my head, in hopes of getting rid of images of Mirabelle's body that was beginning to pop into my head, I grabbed my coat and car keys, and headed to door.

Leaving my office, I walked through the quiet hallway and took the elevator, my footsteps echoing in the emptiness. Eloise's family was influential, and this meeting could potentially have far-reaching consequences. They had their expectations, their traditions, and their hopes for the union. But I wanted a different direction, a path that had Mirabelle in sight.

Outside, the city lights were beginning to illuminate the streets. I unlocked my car, slid into the driver's seat, and took a deep breath. The car's engine purred to life, the sound a reassuring hum that matched the determined rhythm of my thoughts.

As I pulled up to the grand house, I couldn't help but feel a pang of anxiety as the mansion loomed before me. Stepping out of my car, I squared my shoulders and walked up the path to the front door.

"Terrence!" Eloise's nine-year-old brother, Kyle, yanked the door open as soon as I pressed the doorbell. His eyes were wide with surprise, and he seemed both excited and curious to see me.

"Hey there, boy," I ruffled his hair.

"It's been a while since you came to visit," he pulled me inside by the sleeve of my jacket.

"Hey, how've you been?" I asked as I stepped inside, taking off my jacket.

Kyle grinned up at me, his eyes shining with excitement. "I've been good! School's been kinda boring, but I've been practising soccer a lot. Oh, and Mom made your favourite pie!"

"That's awesome! Soccer sounds like a lot of fun," I replied, trying to match his enthusiasm. "And your mom's pie is always amazing. Maybe we can all have some later."

He nodded eagerly, and his expression turned a bit more serious. "Eloise didn't tell me you were coming over."

I sighed softly, ruffling his hair gently. "Yeah, Kyle. There's something I need to discuss with your parents."

His eyebrows furrowed. "You and Eloise are gonna get married, right? That's what everyone says."

Just as I was about to respond to his question, his mother walked into the room, giving us both a warm smile. "Terrence, it's lovely to see you again. I hope you've been well."

"Thank you, Mrs. Dubois. I've been doing well," I replied, returning her smile.

She turned to Kyle. "Kyle, dear, why don't you go finish up your homework? We can all catch up after dinner."

Kyle nodded, looking a bit disappointed but obediently heading towards his room.

Once he was out of earshot, she turned back to me with a curious look. "Terrence, is everything alright? It's unlike you to call for a meeting during the week."

I took a deep breath, knowing that this conversation wouldn't be easy. "Is Antoine here?"

"I believe he's in his study," Camille replied, her expression growing a touch more serious. "You seem rather serious. Is something the matter?"