57 - She's Gone

Terrence Toussaint

I returned to town, not out of desire, but out of necessity. My need to see Mirabelle again was overwhelming, driving me to beg for forgiveness, no matter how long it took. I knew I had to explain myself and the entire situation because, without her, I felt as lifeless as a corpse.

The memories of our last encounter, the pain in her eyes, haunted me every step of the way. Mirabelle deserved far better treatment than what I had given her, and all I wanted now was to make amends. Just last night, after Isabelle drilled some sort of courage into me, I booked the next flight to come back home.

My home.

To my Mirabelle.

My plane touched down at the airport, and as I disembarked, the weight of my actions bore heavily on my shoulders. The arrival terminal was teeming with travelers, each lost in their own world, unaware of the turmoil within me. It was a sea of strangers, none of whom I recognized, but my sole purpose was to find my way to Mirabelle.

I clenched my fists and pushed forward, navigating the bustling airport. I couldn't afford to waste any time. No one knew of my return, and I needed to reach the company, where I believed I could find her since it was a weekday. There was no time to wait for my chauffeur to pick me up at the airport; every minute counted.

I hailed a taxi, and it screeched to a halt before me. In a rush, I provided the driver with the address to ACESPACE, my voice quivering with urgency. The driver nodded in understanding and sped off into the chaotic city streets.

The city I had once called home now felt both alien and achingly familiar as we navigated through the labyrinth of streets. The passing buildings, the incessant honking of horns, and the ceaseless bustle of urban life served as a dissonant backdrop to my internal turmoil. My heart raced with anticipation and anxiety as I approached my company.

My phone began ringing, and I glanced at the screen, seeing the name Father flashing. My relationship with him had always been strained and would always be strained. Swallowing hard, I answered the call, preparing for yet another confrontation.

"What is it?" I asked, my voice cool and distant.

His voice, gruff and unapologetic, came through the line. "I hear you've returned. Meet me at the company. I'm in the conference room."

I clenched my jaw, my resentment towards him simmering beneath the surface. "This is not the time, father. I have other matters to attend to."

His tone turned cold. "Is this about that girl?'

I took a deep breath, my patience wearing thin. "I've told you before that I won't be pushed into this marriage."

There was a tense pause on the other end of the line before he replied, his voice dripping with authority, "You'll do as you're told, Terrence. I won't tolerate any more disobedience. Meet me at the office."

With that, he hung up, leaving me seething with anger and frustration. It seemed that my return home had brought not only the hope of reconciliation with Mirabelle but also the looming shadow of my father's control, a battle I wasn't willing to surrender easily.

I arrived at the company and paid the driver, who gave me an understanding nod as I exited the cab. The towering glass building that represented the life my father had planned for me stood before me.

As I stepped into the sleek, modern lobby, the receptionist greeted me with a forced smile, no doubt aware of the tension that had taken place because of the rumours that were spreading. Just from the forced smile being directed at me, I couldn't begin to imagine what Mirabelle would have gone through.