29 - By the Lake

Mirabelle Morrison

After reminiscing about the incredible breakfast Terrence had prepared, I eagerly anticipated what he had in store for lunch. Little did I know that he would surpass all expectations once again.

While he was whipping it up, I found myself drawn to the kitchen like a moth to a flame. And each time, he would greet me with a mischievous smile, clearly proud of his culinary creation. He presented me with a plate adorned with a vibrant array of colours and textures.

The centrepiece of the meal was a succulent roasted chicken, perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection. The skin was crispy and golden, while the meat beneath was moist and tender. Terrence had skillfully infused it with a blend of herbs and spices, giving it a delightful depth of flavour that made each bite a moment of pure bliss.

Accompanying the chicken was a medley of roasted vegetables, artfully arranged on a platter. The vibrant colors of carrots, bell peppers, and zucchini were a sight to behold, and their caramelized edges hinted at the delicious sweetness within. Terrence had brought out the natural flavors of these vegetables, enhancing them with a sprinkle of aromatic herbs.

But that wasn't all. He had taken note of my dislike for seafood and made sure to create a spread that catered to my preferences. He had prepared a fluffy wild rice pilaf, studded with sautéed mushrooms and infused with fragrant herbs. Each spoonful was a delightful blend of textures and earthy flavours.

Just when I thought I couldn't get more stuffed, he brought out a refreshing garden salad, bursting with vibrant greens, juicy tomatoes, and crunchy cucumbers. The dressing was light and tangy, perfectly complementing the freshness of the vegetables. Terrence had even added some toasted nuts and crumbled cheese for an added touch of indulgence.

After lunch, I knocked out. The combination of the food and the serene atmosphere enveloped me like a warm embrace. I couldn't fight the overwhelming urge to succumb to a deep and restful sleep.

Now that I was awake, feeling rejuvenated, a renewed sense of energy surged within me. The idea of visiting the lake I had glimpsed upon our arrival stirred my adventurous spirit.

Eager to explore the natural beauty that beckoned me, I made my way towards Terrence, who was seated at the dining table - after so much talk about wanting to do nothing - engrossed in his work. Seeing the spark of curiosity in my steps, he glanced up and offered a warm smile.

"Hey, sleepy head." He greeted, setting aside his work and giving me his full attention.

"I was thinking," I began, settling comfortably on his thighs and looking into his eyes, "that we should check out the beautiful lake I saw earlier. That's if we're allowed to go there."

His smile widened, his hand instinctively resting on my waist while the other gently brushed a stray strand of hair behind my ear. A habit he had been doing quite often. "If my baby wants to visit the lake, alors mon bébé le fera." He replied, his voice filled with enthusiasm that matched mine. Then my baby will.

I grinned, feeling a rush of excitement at his words. "I was hoping you'd say that,"

He stood up, his hands still resting on my waist as he guided me off his thighs. "Well then, let's not waste any more time."

"Wait, I need to change!"

He chuckled softly, his eyes sparkling with amusement. "Of course, take your time."

I quickly made my way to the bedroom, rummaging through my bag for a comfortable outfit suitable for our lakeside adventure. Hopefully, Stacey packed the right one. Opting for a pair of denim shorts, a loose-fitting t-shirt, and slippers, I changed into my chosen attire to cover the two-piece swimsuit that was underneath.