17 - Outcasts

Mirabelle Morrison

It was not even up to four hours since I left the office when George began blowing up my phone about an impromptu dinner that Eloise was planning for the company. It was like I didn't have the right to breathe without someone mentioning her name.

"Don't go if you don't want to," I see Emily shrug from the corner of my eye. "She's a bit cheeky, and I don't want you around her."

"It's just dinner. What could go wrong?" I sit down on my bed and give Emily my full attention.

"Everything could go wrong," she whisper-yells, and I rolled my eyes. "Isn't she the one who acted all nice the first night you met her? Acted like she didn't catch you and Terrence about to get it on in the restroom hallway? Only to do a one-eighty on you when Terrence wasn't there,"

"Well, technically, she had every right to come at me for admiring her soon-to-be husband," I tried to gauge the situation from Eloise's point of view.

If I was getting married to someone like Terrence Toussaint, I couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't go feral on another woman who wanted to try and dig her claws into my man. So, it's only natural for her to stake her claim on Terrence and intimidate other women flocking around him.

"Girl, if I had a man who is supposed to be all about me, I could care less about who and what is flocking around him." Emily was never one to care about what a man was engaging in, as long as her name and image weren't tarnished. "I'd be embarrassed coming to a woman as a woman to talk about who the man belonged to."

I chuckled as she shuddered at the thought of it. "Not everyone's like you, Em."

"Well, everyone should be, and maybe we'd finally stop letting men think they have the right to be so audacious." I shook my head in amusement at my friend.

The impromptu dinner hosted by Eloise was looming in the back of my mind as Emily and I continued our conversation. While Emily had a no-nonsense approach to dealing with men and their antics, I couldn't help but feel a sense of curiosity about Eloise's motives. Something was intriguing about her sudden change in behaviour towards me. I knew all her talk about not caring who he had flings with before their marriage was all a facade. But there was no way she was intimidated by the mere thought of me flocking around Terrence.

"Oh look at the time," I announced as I briefly glanced at the clock on the wall of my bedroom. "George would be here soon."

"Do a twirl for me," I quickly prop my phone against a stack of books on my drawer so I could show Emily my full fit for the dinner.

Taking a deep breath, I readjusted my stance and began the twirl, showcasing my carefully chosen ensemble.

With a playful smile, I stepped back from the mirror and spun around, showcasing my carefully chosen outfit. I had opted for a vibrant, emerald-green button-up shirt that accentuated my eyes and complemented my skin tone. The shirt was made of a soft, breathable fabric that draped elegantly over my frame, giving me a confident yet comfortable look. The shirt had delicate ruffles cascading down the front, adding a touch of femininity to the ensemble.

Paired with the shirt was a chic, knee-length skirt in a muted floral print. The soft pastel hues of pink and lavender danced across the fabric, creating a whimsical and romantic feel. The skirt gently hugged my waist, accentuating my figure while allowing me to move with ease.

Complementing the outfit, I wore my famous pair of sleek black stilettos that always seemed to elongate my legs and add an extra touch of elegance to my outfits. The shoes gleamed under the soft lighting of my bedroom, reflecting my attention to detail.