Seven

The ring was barely big enough to be noticeable in the palm of your hand and yet it felt like it weighed more than all nine realms all at once.

Pure gold mixed with sparkling platinum. It was such a simple piece of jewellery and yet a pure work of goldsmith's art.

Every tiny detail melted into each other like a puzzle, designed to fit together like the sun and the moon.

Runes for protection, health and well-being were forged into the metal, adorned with perfect white diamonds that looked like tiny drops of rain. On the crown, the ring bore a raven black stone, a little large for your taste but still imposing.

For the first time in what felt like an eternity, you looked at it up close. To your horror, you realised that the magic had faded out of it. Or at least that was the impression.

The last time you had looked at the ring, the stone had been so alive. There had been sparks and flashes under the polished surface, as if the blacksmith had managed to trap a part of a thundercloud in the stone.

Whenever you moved your hand, a blue sparkle had appeared. Just like when Thor flew through the sky thanks to Mjölnir.

Your eyes darkened.

He had had the ring made for you back then.

Officially he had never given it to you, he had worn it on a chain around his neck. You had stolen it, not out of greed but because it had been like a game for both of you to give and take things.

When he had noticed it, he had only laughed and put it on your index finger.

You remembered that laugh very well. It had been so powerful that it had made the ground and the sky shake.

And yet it had not been frightening. Rather, it was gentle and so exhilarating that you felt like falling around his neck and kissing his bearded face.

His red hair hadn't been so dishevelled then. He had worn his beard shorter.

Thor had been a young man then. Now he was a god.

Just as he had changed, the nature of his gift was no longer the same.

The stone had become dull. No sparks were visible and it no longer felt like magic was flowing through the gold.

And yet you could feel something pulsing.

You used to joke that it felt like a heartbeat. Thor's heartbeat.

The God of Thunder had never confirmed or denied it. But there was always this grin on his face. As if he knew something that was unknown to you.

A strange thought, considering that you were instructed by the God of Wisdom and that Thor had always been regarded by Odin as nothing more than a tool.

The thought made you angry again.

Your fingers closed around the ring and squeezed tightly. It hurt, it felt like the heartbeat was speeding up. You thought about choking him.

But you would never have had the heart to do that.

No matter how bitter you were and how little you wanted to return to how it was with Thor, he didn't deserve any more cruelty.

He was a broken man, tired, suffering. Even if you two no longer shared a future together, you knew enough about his current state to feel pity for him.

There was no need to spread malice.

A sigh rolled off your lips.

It frustrated you how much the past had clouded your mind lately.

Perhaps it was simply because now not only what was but also what would be was connected to Thor and you.

You dreaded reopening old wounds. It had taken centuries to bury the hatchet between you. Since then, you had not shared a single word with each other. Every look had been disgruntled.

And right now, fate decided to rekindle the fire.

"This has to be a cruel joke.", you muttered, glancing out the window.

Perhaps it was finally time to visit the Norns. For a long time you had blamed them for your miseries. And just now the thought of tearing their heads off seemed amusing to you.

You sighed.

In the end, you knew that the Norns were only the messengers of fate. Even they could not control it, and if it had been so willed, the Norns would die too.

Perhaps death would have been a better end than what your master had prophesied for you.

But as you were used to, death would only be an easy way out. And Tyr had taught you many things but that an easy way out was a shame had been his favourite lesson.

Your eyes briefly jumped back down to your hand.

The last bit of magic was now gone from the ring. At least you thought so, because you could no longer feel the heartbeat.

You had already turned back towards the bed to banish the jewel back into the darkness when you suddenly heard footsteps.

You froze.

The floor trembled with force.

It felt like a thunderstorm was coming.

Cold sweat ran down your back.

"Not now...", you whispered, closing your fingers tighter around the ring.

All at once the heartbeat was so strong, it felt like your hand was being broken open.

Magic flooded your body, causing a feeling of warmth.

No, it didn't just dare to be warm. It was hot, muggy, like a summer rainstorm.

The footsteps stopped at your door. Gone was the hope that it was just another passing through the hallway.

The hairs on the back of your neck stood up straight.

The feeling of electricity travelled across the floor.

It smelled of rain.

"Go away...", you whispered with a look out of the corner of your eye. "Please... Please leave. Fate can still wait."

But that day, luck was not on your side.

A knock sounded. The force with which the fist struck the wood was so powerful that the whole door shook.

With an annoyed sigh you closed your eyes.

Maybe he would disappear if you didn't answer.

But again there was a knock.

How patient he was. Only a few decades ago he would not have knocked a second time and simply gained entry.

"Can't you guess that I don't want any guests?", you asked, so loudly that even the visitor outside the door could hear it.