Forty-Two

Silence.

Nothing but silence filled the house as you finally came to an end.

"This is all I am able to tell you.", you said, hands folded in front of your lips, while glancing at the boy. "However, it seems Loki... Atreus has some sort of ability."

"The shrines?", he asked. I've looked at all of them. "None show where Tyr cold be found."

Once again you had to close your eyes and take a deep breath.

This was not the first time you had tried to explain to him that Tyr played no part in this prophecy. What mattered was preparing the boy for his task of killing the traitor.

And then Odin would fall.

But it seemed he still hadn't given up the idea. A nuisance, but you could not force him to change it. It would jeopardise the success of your task.

All at once, an idea lit up inside you.

You didn't have to make him change his plans. All you had to do was show him that there was no point in looking for Tyr and dragging him into a war he himself would never have wanted.

Your master was gone, as painful as it was. Atreus would never find him.

But the journey would strengthen him as much as the disappointment. It would prepare him for the task of killing the traitor.

Then you and Thor could get to Odin.

A sigh rolled from your lips.

"Very well...", you smiled thinly. "Take me to every shrine you know. We'll take a good look at everything."

"If you don't know the shrines then how will you help him?", asked Kratos, his gaze dark.

The hostility towards you was as palpable as his breath in the silence. He didn't like you catering around his son. And he also wasn't pleased that you played into his bad behaviour.

If Atreus had been your own child, you would not have supported his fantasies. But this moment was special, different. It was important not to turn him against you.

He needed to grow. That included being disappointed and failing. Even if his father wanted to save him from every disaster, it was a necessary evil.

With a quick glance, you exchanged quiet words with Kratos.

A growl got caught in his throat.

But he nodded.

Your eyes returned to the boy but not before taking a quick glance at Freya as well.

"Tyr had many ways of communicating.", you said as your eyes gazed intently at the young one. "Even if the true form of the shrines is only revealed when Atreus calls them, some details may only be decipherable by me."

"You think you are more capable than you might be.", Freya interjected.

An amused snort made you smile.

"You insult me, Freya.", you said. "But you forget that I was Tyr's only student ever. If I don't know, then no one will."

"Very stuck-up of you."

"Perhaps. But what other option is there? Ask Odin?", you shook your head, chuckling. "I think we all know how this is going to end."

"My son will not be a pawn of fate.", Kratos insisted with his voice vibrating with strain.

"And I accept that, you assured. However, if you want him to live, he needs to play his part."

"Kill the traitor.", Atreus said, frowning. "But who is the traitor? It sounds like you don't even know."

For a moment you looked at him. He was right, but that didn't change the fact that if he didn't walk the path, he would never arrive at his destination.

"Fate has strange ways.", out of the corner of your eye you looked at your father again. "Disgusting ways. Even if we refuse to fulfil any prophecy, it will happen. What matters is how we will act."

"It sounds like you're not sure yourself.", Freya noted, one eyebrow raised.

You had to take a deep breath.

"I trust in the guarantee that things will happen when they are supposed to happen.", a bitter taste spread on your tongue. "The traitor will show themselves. Or we will find out who it is on our own. Either way, when the time comes, your son will know who to kill."

"I want no blood on my son's hands!", with his face diapered in anger, Kratos hit the table.

Although it was only a slight outburst of his feelings, the tabletop was made to tremble. It felt like the force was moving into your body and splintering the bones.

No matter how you expressed yourself it had to be done with care.

This man had little leniency. And his behaviour made it clear that he had already killed so many times that for him it was nothing more than breathing.

"Father...", carefully Atreus tried to divert his father's attention from you. "I have killed before."

"Not for fate.", he insisted.

The boy shrugged.

"So? What difference does it make?"

"Your hands..."

"Are already stained with blood. I don't mind killing a single traitor. It will save your life."

All at once, the expression on the man's face softened. It was as if the cold reality had hit him right in the face. A blow like no other.

"I'm your father.", Kratos grabbed his boys face with both hands, so persistent and yet soft, loving. "It is not your duty to protect me."

A soft smile appeared on the boys face.

"I know.", he just said. "But I need to do this. Just this once. Please..."

His eyes moved to you.

But the words refused to leave your mouth. This wasn't your place to say anything. This was a thing between a boy and his father.

You were nothing but a stranger. A potential threat to add to that.

No, it was best to let things play out on their own. For once this wasn't in your hand to lead towards the right path.

Taking a deep breath, you lowered your head bit gifted Kratos a glance.

Your eyes met.

A growl could be heard.

"If my son gets hurt, I'll tear you apart.", he warned.

With a nod, you offered him a hand to shake.

"A goal we both want to reach.", you said with a smile. "I'll keep him safe. The traitor will fall. And after that it's Thor's and my business. No more blood than necessary on your boys hands. And none at all on yours. Or Freya's."