Thirty-Nine

"I am not here to be judged by you for the decisions I made.", you took a deep breath. "Just know that I am aware of your plan to help the boy and his father."

Her eyes twitched. For a moment she seemed to mistrust you once again. Her gaze jumped down to her sword, she considered picking it up once again.

But she decided to let you speak a bit longer.

"You know where Tyr is?", Freya asked.

Impatient, Thor moved next to you.

To calm him you grabbed his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

Your gaze wandered up to lock with his. A soft smile brightened your face.

"No one knows where Tyr is.", you said. "But I know what he intended for the future."

Her eyebrows rose. Now you had her interest. All you needed to do was capture her attention as well. Or at least long enough for you to be able to tell her all the important details.

"Tyr... made a alternative prophecy?", she asked, her head tilted, eyebrows drawn together in disbelief. "What proof do you have?"

A sigh made you close your eyes.

"You're as demanding as ever.", you mumbled.

"Cautious would be a better word."

"You know as well as I do that prophecies are but words and can only be proven by words. There is nothing I could give you.", your eyes narrowed. "Well, nothing but the fact that Thor is with me. And he didn't kill you yet. As we both know that would have been his duty if the prophecy that we all know as the one and only would be correct."

"There is no right nor wrong when it comes to fate."

A huff escaped you.

"My masters believes exactly. It doesn't matter if there is one prophecy or a thousand. What matters is, will you allow us to proceed or do we need to fulfil a part of the only prophecy?"

Silence fell.

For a very long moment you just stood there staring at Freya as her eyes moved over your face and then to Thor. It was clear that she was doubtful.

Of course, for so many years she had had to suffer under his father. And if one was honest then the God of Thunder was not entirely innocent either. He had taken a lot of liberties with her.

Only towards Baldur had he always been well-disposed. Probably because he had accepted him as a brother even after Tyr and Heimdall had recognised his madness.

No, Thor was not innocent in any way. Some of his guilt he would never be able to wash away.

But he tried.

And that was what had counted for you.

Freya, on the other hand, seemed unconvinced. She would not give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps your bond with Tyr would be the only thing that could persuade her at least not to hunt you with her sword.

She moved slightly.

Thor reacted. His fingers flinched. He was about to call Mjölnir.

But you grabbed his hand to squeeze it.

"Patience, pumpkin.", you whispered.

"Whatever you seek with the boy...", Freya picked up her sword, metal scratched over metal while snow fell. "I will be there. And I will judge."

This was a good offer. At least better than you expected. No fight was necessary. There could have been better results, of course, but an alliance was completely out of the question.

Both you and Freya were not close enough to forgive mistakes. She had once come to you after Odin had betrayed her yet another time, endangering her in his madness for answers. She had asked you to inform Tyr. You had not, fearing that her request would cost your master dearly.

And in the end, it had. Because Freya had treated him as a confidant, Odin had become suspicious. That was the only reason why Tyr, just before he disappeared, had not been able to take a single step without taking a risk.

He had paid dearly and Freya had been partly responsible. But blaming only her was too easy. There were far more people to blame for your master's suffering.

Including you and Thor.

Your gaze wandered up to the God of Thunder.

There was doubt in his eyes. He didn't seem convinced of the goddess' good intentions either. But he knew as well as you that she was a necessary evil.

And if the calm, predictable Freya agreed to cooperate, it might also be possible to make the boy's father neutral.

Taking a deep breath, you closed your eyes and nodded.

"I think we can agree on that.", you summoned the knife out of the snow with an outstretched hand.

Called by magic, the blade rose. You caught it from the air.

With a raised eyebrow, Freya watched your power.

"Hm...", she put her sword back into its sheath. "You have learned."

"For better or worse, I was forced to.", you said, drawing new blood from your thumb.

"You were always well protected."

Without reacting to the fact that she was watching Thor with an appraising look, you wrote runes in the air to summon a portal.

"As you see, one cannot feel safe enough in the presence of the Allfather.", you replied dryly. "Caution is better than indulgence."

The air curved. A blue crack appeared, bled onto the ground and coloured the snow a magical blue.

Warmth hit your face.

Branches appeared in the distance, twining among the stars.

"After you.", politely, you made a gesture to let Freya go first.

With an amused smirk, the goddess shook her head.

"You don't think I turn my back on my enemy, do you?", she asked with folded arms.

"We are no enemies.", you insisted.

"But neither are we friends.", her gaze jumped again to Thor.

A low growl caught in his throat. This sound alone was enough to assure you that his patience was wearing thin.

You looked up at him.

"Would you be so kind, pumpkin?", you asked with a smile.

He exhaled a deep breath. Then he went ahead. But not before he had breathed a kiss on the top of your head.