Twelve

The night was chilly.

But all you could feel was the boiling bitterness in your stomach. Maybe this had been a bad idea.

But now it was too late to turn back.

Hopefully, Thor wouldn't show up. He was probably already so drunk that he was lying under one of the tables in the great lodge. Or he had started a fight.

Your gaze wandered into the distance.

From where you were standing, you had a perfect view of the palace.

Thor and you had spend most of your time in this hideout to make sure you didn't get caught but could have an eye on everything.

At that time Odin had called him in for other things than doing his dirty work. He had treated him like his apprentice. He had acted as if it was important to him to teach his own flesh and blood.

He had not only been a mentor to Thor and his other sons but also a father. This had changed long ago and yet it still didn't sit right with you.

The Allfather had changed over time just like everyone else. But unlike Thor's, Odin's change had been so sudden.

If you remembered correctly, it was as if he had gone mad from one day to the next. As if he'd seen something he should never have seen. And it had corrupted his mind.

You weren't sure, but it must have been around the same time that he lost one of his eyes.

All at once you remembered a meeting between Tyr and the Allfather that you had overheard a long time ago. You had been able to observe little more than their shadows, but what they had said had been frightening.

They had argued. Tyr had insisted that Odin did not do something, it would not have been worth the sacrifice.

Odin, on the other hand, was desperate to know more. Or rather, he wanted to get to know. He had wanted security. Presumably security from Ragnarok.

Since the beginning of the first prophecy, Odin had been almost obsessed with avoiding his death, which was written in the stars. He had searched for alternatives, had used all his tricks to escape his destiny.

And yet everything had turned out exactly as it should have.

What had he seen in the crack?

It must have scared him enough to take the life of his dearest son Tyr.

Gritting your teeth, you squeezed your eyes shut and shook your head.

No, your master was not dead. He could not be dead. Ragnarok prophesied that he would lead the uprising against Odin's army.

He would return. It was only a matter of time.

And you had to make sure that everything was ready for him.

Taking a deep breath, you gathered all your composure and opened your eyes again.

What shone at you was a sky full of stars. Thousands of them sparkled in the darkness, making the shadows shimmer blue, purple and silver.

Shooting stars passed the moon and faded into colourful sparks. It seemed as if you could reach out your fingers and touch them.

A smile appeared on your lips. For a breath of a second, lightness spread through your chest.

"You always preferred the night to the day.", a rough voice suddenly sounded.

Goosebumps crept down your spine. But you didn't let it show.

Instead you had to huff.

"I always wondered how a man of your size could move so silently.", you glanced over your shoulder to examine Thor for a moment.

With lowered eyes and a pitiful expression on his face, he stood in the shadows. As he stepped out, the silver light of the moon bathed his hair in a colour that looked like rust.

He shrugged.

"I've not always been this fat.", he laughed, but it was obvious that he had no strength to be truly happy.

You shook your head.

"That... I didn't mean that.", your eyes returned to the stars. "You were always tall. Broad. But I was never able to hear you."

A low hum made his deep chest vibrate.

"I used to scare you quite often...", now there was the hint of a smile on his lips.

But you did not see for your back was turned to him. As always.

You had always taken the lead. As Tyr's apprentice, who was only of lesser divine descent, you always had a lot of ambition and the will to prove yourself.

Thor was born as the son of Odin. Everything had been laid in his cradle. He had never had to prove his worth, he had never been doubted. For he was of the blood of the All-Father.

A curse and a blessing.

The prestige and privilege were something you had always envied. But Odin as a father was cruel like no other.

At some point, you understood that. From then on, you had always walked alongside Thor instead of running ahead.

In the end you had come to regretted it.

"Why this place?", Thor suddenly asked, his eyes bright with the light of the stars.

You frowned.

If you were honest with yourself, you knew no answer to this question.

Of all the places and all the nine realms, this was the closest, right within reach of the All Father. It was the most obvious place to hide.

And yet it was the first thing that had come to your mind.

"We've never been discovered here.", you said, but it was audible that you weren't quite sure yourself.

Thor almost had to smile when he was reminded of how often you had frowned when you weren't sure yourself but didn't want to admit it.

His eyes wandered to the back of your head.

He was a good deal taller than you, of course, after all he had the blood of the giants in his veins. Your head just reached below his chest. He had always enjoyed it when you hugged him, your cheek pressed against his belly.

But at that moment it was the color of your hair that fascinated him so much.

(H/C).

It hadn't changed a bit. It was all still exactly as he remembered it.

The way the moonlight caught in the strands made it look like it was braided from silk.

His fingers twitched.

Was it still as soft as it was then?

In his chest he felt the urge to touch it.

But he didn't.

You would have hated it.