Fourteen

"I know...", it crossed his lips a gentle breath.

You frowned, so full of anger all of a sudden.

"No.", with fire burning in your eyes you tore your gaze up to look at him. "No, you don't. You never did."

More guilt appeared on his face. It was ridiculous how much like a beaten dog a man could look like. Let alone a god.

"What makes you think I don't care?", Thor turned to face you.

A shiver chased through your body.

Why did you feel like him facing you was threat?

After all these years of pitying him, hating him, why did you start to fear his presence in this exact moment?

You bared your teeth. The anger that boiled in the pit of your stomach was so much stronger than the fear of being crushed by his enormous body strength.

"If you truly would care you would have stood with me.", you said, allowing all the bitterness of the past to be heard through your voice. "If you truly would have cared, you wouldn't have exchanged me for a goddess who couldn't love you a day in her life."

His gaze changed.

Suddenly it seemed like he actually cares about what you had to say. As if he had awoken from a deep slumber.

"You know I had no choice.", his voice vibrated with power as he took a step towards you, eyebrows knitted together.

You laughed. It almost made you feel like a maniac.

"What poor excuse is that, Thor?", you threw your hands into the air. "You're the god of thunder. People feared you as much as they prayed to your name. If anyone has choices, it's you!"

"Not with this! I needed an heir."

"You had Magni long before we were betrothed to one another. You had an heir!", your voice started to tremble yet you refused to give him a glance at how he had broken you.

As soon as the name of his passed son crossed your lips anger lit up inside those blue eyes of his as well.

A sound of warning got stuck in his throat. But it was clear that he had already lost his control.

After all, Thor was famous for his temper. It was hard to get him to get angry but once the point of no return was passed he was like a ticking time bomb.

"But I needed more!", now it was him who couldn't help but get loud. "You knew as well as I did, that one son isn't enough in this cursed family. I had to expect that one of them dies. Gets beaten. Kills himself."

"So you ran off to Sif?", you laughed again, in amusement this time. "All she ever managed to do was birth sons. She could never give you anything but this."

"Well, you aren't able to give me another one."

All at once, both of you fell silent.

Shock was written all over his face.

Oh, how much he regretted his words. How his eyes trembled and his lips flinched.

You could tell with one glance that he wishes to turn back time by just a few seconds. He wanted to make his words unsaid.

The sight almost made you chuckle with amusement.

"How spineless you've become...", you mumbled with half-lidded eyes.

Nothing but indifference filled your chest. Gone was the boiling anger. All that was left was a hole that felt like it was filled with air.

"I didn't think about my words.", he tried to apologise.

You shrugged.

"Did you ever think that if you would have stood your ground by my side we would have been able to form a family?", you didn't know why you asked him but it was a question that had burned on your soul for as long as you could remember.

With his eyes closed he let out a deep breath. It almost sounded like an exhausted sigh.

"The Allfather would have never returned your fertility. Even if I would have beaten it out of him."

"We could have tried..."

"(Y/N). Look at us. We would have never had children."

You sucked in a sharp breath.

"I know.", the expression you gifted him was as hard as stone. "But if you would have stood with me, perhaps he would have returned it for me to be with someone else. Someone who could have given me a family. Who would have wanted to marry me."

His lips flinched. The words were already laying on the top of his tongue.

But Thor couldn't bring himself to say them out loud. Perhaps he was once again too much of a coward or he feared what would be the consequences if he told you.

Either way, he pressed his lips into a thin line and let out a deep breath instead.

"I cannot turn back time...", his eyes returned to the ground below his feet. "But I want to fix the future. And I need you for that."

A smirk tugged at the corner of your mouth.

His request almost made you huff with bitterness once again.

But you knew very well that this wasn't a matter of helping him out.

This was fate.

Tyr hat foreseen these events. They were bound to happen.

And if you would deny him once again fate would find another way to bring the two of you back on the same path. This was a forced game.

You couldn't decide weather to play it or not.

This was only a matter of winning and loosing.

And you weren't willing to loose. Not again.

Fate had once defeated you in the worst ways possible. Now it was your time to beat it.

"What would you need me for?", you crossed your arms in front of your chest.

"You're smarter than me.", he said with an exhausted shrug. "All I have is strength."

"Which I am lacking."

"Which is why we ware a great match."

A low chuckle made you lower your eyes.

"We would have been.", you agreed. "Fine. But I need you to prove to me how worthy you are."

"Anything.", he agreed with a nod.

"Careful. I might get tempted to ask for too much."