Fifty

"I knew you would come for me.", Tyr looked tired, his face dirty with dust and his hair matted with moisture. "I could always count on you. You've always been my secret weapon against Odin."

Your eyes narrowed. Taking a deep breath, you bowed your head, grabbed the boy by the shoulders and took a step back.

"Tyr...", you whispered through clenched lips.

The god of war smiled. He showed his teeth as he did so. Tyr had never shown his teeth while smiling.

"It has been so long...", he reached out.

Heavy chains made it hard for him to move. He looked ill. Older than he would actually have been.

"We must free him!", Atreus said.

But your grip on him tightened before he could make a mistake.

"Loki...", you said calmly, frowning. "Go to Thor."

The boy pulled a face.

"But-!"

"Go to Thor. Now."

Without waiting for him to respond, you pushed him back into the light with gentle pressure. Tyr frowned. He sat on the floor, one hand resting on his knee. It was not like him to carry himself like this.

"Thor?", he asked with a smile that felt somehow like a threat.

You eyed him from top to bottom for a moment.

"Why are you wearing his clothes?", you asked.

He frowned. A huff escaped him. It seemed nervous.

"These are my clothes.", he said as if it were the only reasonable answer. "Did you get mad while I was gone?"

You shook your head, a little angered.

Carefully, you took a step back.

His eyes flinched. A hint of anger appeared on his face.

"You're... changed.", Tyr, you said while unnoticeably gesturing for Thor to help you.

The smile on his face froze.

Slowly, he rose from the ground. Chains rustled with his every movement.

The giant in Tyr was unmistakable. His shadow fell over you entirely, made it seem like he was a mountain of bones and flesh.

The gold of his eyes shimmered.

You retreated from the room only to hit with your back against something hard.

Thor grabbed you by the shoulders.

A gasp of surprise escaped you.

"I'm here.", he said in a calm voice while his eyes examined the long lost brother. "I'll do whatever it takes."

You swallowed hard.

"You don't have to.", you said while your fingers drew runes of protection into the air.

"But I want to. This is my choice."

At his sight, Tyr faltered. His eyes narrowed, his head tilted to the side.

"What are you doing here?", he asked, his voice so cold all of a sudden. "You're... betraying me?"

This was the final straw.

You raised your hands in alarm, flames dancing around your fingers.

"Who are you?", you asked with a grim face.

Confused, the boy stepped between you and the one wearing your master's face.

"That is Tyr.", he protested.